Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a trio of castis soon and was wondering what size tank people have had success in since they seem so hard to breed. What length and hieght too. I realize that they aren't arboreal so I think I'll just get a glass aquarium from Pet Depot or something. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
*gasp* YOU KNOW PET DEPOT? In southern california, right? ISN'T IT THE DEVIL!??!?! Ugh, that store makes me so mad.....*twitch*.....they treat their animals like crap. I wish I had the space and $$$ to buy them all! :evil: Some people should just....be put on an island in the middle of the ocean.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Trio of Castis

You could put them in as small as a 10 or a standard 20 (which I believe is a 20 high) would be perfect. I always felt a 20 long for terrestrial frogs was the best tank without taking up too much space and gives the frogs the most surface area but the low heighth does not allow for a more aesthetic display.
Angie if Pet Depot is as bad as you say contact your local animal control people, they should be able to enforce codes.
Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 5 castis in a 29g. And you might think they are basically terrestrial but if the plants are to their liking they climb and hop all over them quite a bit.Mine all have certain areas in my corktile/corkbark background they like to loaf and sleep in.They really are cool frogs and out of my vents, intermedias, and imitators,they are my favorites.
Mark W.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I heard somewhere that the secret to breeding them is running water, I think it was on quality captives site or tincs.com.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
John was the one who posted it on his website as the breeding secret. I have 4 that i got from randy in a 10 gallon and it is planted with live spagnum and some taller plants and they stay on the ground under leaves for the most part.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think different things work for different people. That being said, I have no running water in my casti tanks and have had alot of success breeding them up to this point.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'll try to get a pic up soon of how they're set up.
Hey Josh, glad you like 'em! :D I think those little guys might be ready to go for you by the Spring, maybe sooner.

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
casti

Randy said:
I think different things work for different people. That being said, I have no running water in my casti tanks and have had alot of success breeding them up to this point.
Randy
May I ask how your tank is set up. Pool of water? broms? tall plants? any wood or climbing perches? or do your specimens stay primarily on the ground? Breeding in film canisters or huts or other?
Much appreciated.
Shawn

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm glad you emailed me Shawn, 'cause I just saw this. I need to start checking the threads that I'm involved in more often :oops: Hope you liked the guide!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts