Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering should I make a water fall and use the false bottom or not? I was wondering and what kind of subtrate should I use I was thinking about this

?????
Terra-Lite
Bottom-false bottom

But what do I put after that? what should I use? and what do I do if mold starts to grow iin my viv and do lucos like water falls?

Thanks
Brian Bannon

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Frogs do not require false bottoms, but in general plants do. Most plants do not like having their feet wet all the time, and so a draining layer is essential unless you have the tank drilled. LECA is easiest to work with IMHO. Brand names for LECA include Terra-Lite and Hydroton (the cheapest and most available brand IMHO).

You can put a waterfall in or leave it out. They just help keep up the humidity level, so if you spray the tank you won't need it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still debating on making an actual false bottom with the plastic "egg crate" grill or just using the LECA balls for a drainage area. Currently, I'm leaning more towards the egg-crate solution, but I have been waffling back and forth on the subject.

If using LECA as a drainage base, or using a false bottom with an undrilled tank, do you just need to syphon the excess water out now and again?

I'm thinking of setting up a drip wall when I build my viv. Will the drip wall and the plants absorb enough of the water that I shouldn't need to actually drain it and will just need to replenish the water when it is getting low?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK

ok thanks I am going to put in a waterfall because I do need the humidity and just wondering here in oregon where I am it normaly is in the low 60s and I was wondering what kind of heater should I use?? because I am not shure in a under the tank heater will work becaues of the false bottomjust wondering how tall should false bottom be?? and how should I make the pond?

Thanks
Brian Bannon

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
You probably don't need a heater. Your lights will heat your tank plenty.

For ponds/waterfalls, I use false bottoms for 3/4 to 5/6 of the tank and the part I don't have a false bottom becomes the pond. I think I got the idea from the arizona dendrobate ranch site (check links). I use gravel in the pond area.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need it

I really do need a heater becaues where I live the temp can get down to as low as mid 50s during the night time and just wondering what kind of heater should I use? and I am going to have a false bottom so take that into concideration

Thanks
brian Bannon

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and

and what kind of pump whoud I use I was thinking of a rio 600 so thats what I was thinking what do you think? and what kind of light should I use??

Thanks
Brian Bannon

·
Registered
882 Posts
That is my opinion (sorry if it sounded negative)lol
How about this
Some people prefer maxi/mini/micro jets over rios if you would like to look into the subject.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK

Ok I will look into those pumps and now all I need to know is what kind of light to use and what type of heater

Thanks
Brian Bannon

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Valcan, although I have never used a heater with my frogs, I would recommend the one of these http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 004+113767. THey have an external control unit, which is very nice seeing how you don't want to have to keep an opening to adjust it. If you put a heater in,make sure you do an egg crate false bottom, with at the very least 2 inches of water space. Use a pump to circulate the water, and never let the heater come out of water. Also, get the lowest watt heater available, and run tests on your viv for atleast a week measuring the max and min temp that the air space of the viv gets too. Make sure to have the temp probe of the heater unit in the water. They also sell under the tank heat mats which wouldn't be a bad idea. You can get them cheap from Reptile depot, only problem with them is they don't have a built in thermostat. If you have more questions, let us know. Oh yeah, for lighting, I would recommend nothing less than Compact fluorescents, stand fluorescents are just so crappy, unless you run 2 bulbs. Just search for all types of lighting on this site. I have been using screw in Compact fluorescent bulbs now on my vivs and I love them, and plants love them. Just look for bulbs with a color temp of 6500 K.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check out my false bottom in the "Frogs and Viv" section. Mold, moss, etc isn't harmful to frogs, and actually aids in breaking down waste materials. I used eggcrate, then a vinyl screen, then gravel, then charcoal(helps filter and keep smells down), and then coco bark. The plants LOVE it in there! My false bottom is set at 7" high, and is supported by cut pieces of pvc pipe that are siliconed to the bottom of the tank. I only made it so high so I could put fish in the bottom too. I use a Fluval Level 1 filter(50 gallons per hour). I also bought an exo-terra water pump to make the waterfall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts