Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i plan on attending a reptile show and getting frogs this sunday. I have a exo terra 29 tall vivarium. It has a fogger and is planted. However the temperature is around 80 all the time and the humidty about 80 as well im wondering if that will be ok starting out, if not im wondering what steps i need to take to provide the best conditions for the frogs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Gotta feed them! At the very least you'll need a producing fly culture right away and the materials to make more. What kind of frog are you hoping to get at the show?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would also highly recommend grabbing some good mineral and vitamin supplements to dust their food source asap. Best to avoid any deficiencies in the first place rather than trying to fight it later. Plus do a ton of research on identifying healthy frog specimens. Since you are shopping at an expo the more you know about healthy frogs and how to spot signs of problems the better off you will be in the end for sure! The supplements will also be good since you are not sure if the vendor had the time or the general care for the animal to give them what they should have had the whole time. Now is the best time to make any last minute changes so make sure that You have most of the things the way you want them as well. You will have a quarantine period I assume so that will give your plants a chance to settle back in. Also correct me if I am wrong but 80 F all the time seems a bit high maybe do some reading about PC fans as ventilation. There are ways to control the speed so you can achieve the temp you want and they usually don't cost much.

Hope this helps somewhat,
-FoxHound

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok will do , im hoping to get dendrobates azerus or leucamoles. Im also wondering how often is good to feed them and what is a good basic food for them. And yes ik 80 is a tad high and i was actually looking into pc fans but im still unsure how to power it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? can you post picture of the tank and lighting?

When you say fogger, I hope you dont mean that you have one of those vibrating disk ultrasonic foggers in a water feature in your vivarium. Those are a hazard to any small animal that comes into contact with the rapidly vibrating water around the disk. It is better to pipe the fog into the tank.

good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dusted wingless/flightless fruitflies are the main food source. It's usually a good idea to get some practice culturing them before you get your frogs so there aren't any food supply issues. It's also a good idea to get any microfauna (springtails and isopods) you want established in your viv ahead of time. They are good at cleaning up waste and double as a supplemental food source. From my research asking how often to feed will get you a lot of different answers... anywhere from everyday to once or twice a week. Some factors are whether you have microfauna established for them to eat or not and how old they are. There are a lot of fat little froggies in the hobby from what I hear though! I would recommend doing a search on nutrition and supplements and you can find a lot of useful information. Actually the search feature in general is very helpful.

About the temperature, I too am wondering about your light set-up. I lowered the temperature in my cobalt tank from about 80 to 75ish by raising the light up two inches or so.

I'm going to be getting my next frogs in the nearish future and have been strongly thinking about Leucs as well. They seem like a great choice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts