Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

at the moment i have been feeding my young tricolors a few springtails but my cultures have all recently died...

do you recon very small fruit flies are going to be okay for them?

any advice please?

cheers

Jono

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, ive read and been told that young E.tricolors will usually eat the small variety of f.f. and I would quess pinhead crickets 1-4 days old . Im waiting on my first tads of E.tricolor there about 1 week old, just curious how long to hatch , temp is 70-75 f. Any tips would also be appreciated. Good Luck :wink:

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Use the ffs that you find at the end of your culture - about half (or a bit less) the size of the normal ff (due to lack of nutrition in the culture at the end).

Work your way up as the froglets get bigger. And get those springtails going again!

s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Springtails bitch to culture? honestly they are about the easiest thing in my experience requiring little to no work. What are you doing with them?

-Tad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott said:
Use the ffs that you find at the end of your culture - about half (or a bit less) the size of the normal ff (due to lack of nutrition in the culture at the end).

Work your way up as the froglets get bigger. And get those springtails going again!

s
why would you use ff with a lack of nutrition for early development of frogs ? Springtails are pretty easy once going, I just feed mine active yeast about every week ,, also try flour beetle larva , its a pain to gather them but the frogs love it .

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
The ffs are just fine (for nutrition), they just lack size bc/ of lack of nutrition in their media.

That's why.

s
zoso said:
Scott said:

s
why would you use ff with a lack of nutrition for early development of frogs ? Springtails are pretty easy once going, I just feed mine active yeast about every week ,, also try flour beetle larva , its a pain to gather them but the frogs love it .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tad604 said:
Springtails bitch to culture? honestly they are about the easiest thing in my experience requiring little to no work. What are you doing with them?

-Tad
plastic container...

cleaned lumps of coal...

potateo peelings...

leave for weeks nothing happens :( keeping at 22*C ish

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it wet? should be sloppy wet, and try adding yeast and close the container don't worry about ventilation but don't make an effort to make it airtight.

-Tad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tad604 said:
Is it wet? should be sloppy wet, and try adding yeast and close the container don't worry about ventilation but don't make an effort to make it airtight.

-Tad
sloppy wet - as in water at the bottom eh? hmmmm

and my yeast just turns into gunk when i add it *cries*

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe that gunk is what the springtails like to feed on. I've been using charcoal with a cm or two of water at the bottom and feeding with yeast. It's been a little over a week and they seem to be thriving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive just soaked all my cutures and added yeast to them all - lets see what happens eh!

Jonny

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahh that makes sence now , :wink:
Scott said:
The ffs are just fine (for nutrition), they just lack size bc/ of lack of nutrition in their media.

That's why.

s
zoso said:
Scott said:

s

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I dont even use water in mine. It sloshes all over the place and is messy. I just make a thin base layer of coco bedding and place the chunks of coal right on top of it then sprinkle the yeast just on top of the coal and give the chunks a good mist to moisten up the yeast. The next thing I know the chunks are covered with springtails ready to be taken out for feeding. I also have a culture that is just layers of leaves and it is explodeing with springtails. All I have to do is pick a leaf and shake it out or place it in the tank for feeding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.