Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Consider low light aquatic plant in a system that will be wet. I have aquatic planted vivarium that are misted heavier then most vivs. However most of my plants are from South East Asia and not south America. Almost all of my fish are South or Central American though :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Consider low light aquatic plant in a system that will be wet. I have aquatic planted vivarium that are misted heavier then most vivs. However most of my plants are from South East Asia and not south America. Almost all of my fish are South or Central American though :)
I thought about that as I am a tropical fish keeper also. I just love exotic tropical fish. Currently own two Electric Eels.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice! Those things get massive! How big is the tank?

Yeah Currently I am growing 2 species of Hygro, chain sword, anubias, multiple crypt species, HC, Sagittaria, glosso, and many others in my vivariums. I am also growing 5 species of aquatic mosses in my vivariums!

I can list specific species names if you are interested in any of these.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! Those things get massive! How big is the tank?

Yeah Currently I am growing 2 species of Hygro, chain sword, anubias, multiple crypt species, HC, Sagittaria, glosso, and many others in my vivariums. I am also growing 5 species of aquatic mosses in my vivariums!

I can list specific species names if you are interested in any of these.
Right now one is 20 inches in size 75 gallon tank and a the other is 13 inches in 30 gallon tank for now. I am also doing heavy misting I need the plants to cope with that misting. I am just getting into dart frogs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Same! I took down 8 aquariums to make room for dart frogs. I am about 6 months into vivariums and only 2 months into frogs now. I like it because there is less water changes, and I still get to see nice, lush tanks that look natural. I still have 12 aquariums setup though. I have 2 vivariums and I have plans for 6 more. I also have plans for an indoor pond/riparium style feeder tub.

So are you doing a biotype and only doing South American plants? I totally dig biotypes, but there are some seriously awesome aquatic plants form South East Asia. Crypts and ground cover type plants being my favorite at the moment.

Staurogyne Repens is one of my favorite plants from SA and it is naturally found growing in really wet spots of the amazon. I currently have it growing in my planted tank, but plant to transfer some once it establishes better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same! I took down 8 aquariums to make room for dart frogs. I am about 6 months into vivariums and only 2 months into frogs now. I like it because there is less water changes, and I still get to see nice, lush tanks that look natural. I still have 12 aquariums setup though. I have 2 vivariums and I have plans for 6 more. I also have plans for an indoor pond/riparium style feeder tub.

So are you doing a biotype and only doing South American plants? I totally dig biotypes, but there are some seriously awesome aquatic plants form South East Asia. Crypts and ground cover type plants being my favorite at the moment.

Staurogyne Repens is one of my favorite plants from SA and it is naturally found growing in really wet spots of the amazon. I currently have it growing in my planted tank, but plant to transfer some once it establishes better.
Its true about the water changes I currently have 7 aquariums, a panther chameleon, two tortoises, python and now the dart frogs.

I am trying to just go South American plants and see how it goes.

I have also checked out your blog

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered from Joshs Frogs some Exo-Terra Monsoon Nozzles, Tubing (6 Feet) and Y-connector I am going to split the Exo-Terra Monsoon that I have into 4.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
One of the best things I can recommend for longevity of your plants as well as your frogs is to make sure you are not misting too much! A good thing to aim for is having the water droplets on your plants evaporate within 2-3 hours of being misted. If you can get that set up, while still maintaining some decent humidity there will be very few plants you can't grow in a terrarium, including orchids and bromeliads!

If you have a fast draining substrate and a good drainage layer that always has some water in it, you shouldn't have too many humidity issues unless you just have too much air flow. Not enough air flow and the water drops won't evaporate. It takes some tweaking, but your plants will love you for it and your frogs will appreciate the ability to have some actual dry places to sit on. Even the semi-aquatics will be happy as long as they are given wet feet and a chance to adjust.

Some of my favs thought are fittonia, Syngonium rayii, Syngonium erythrophyllum (central america), the NoID going around as Philo. sp. 'Panama' or "mini aroid vine" on BJ (central america), Monocostus uniflorus (Tarapoto, Peru), a number of Selaginella (just check the species, some are from SE Asia), a number of philodendrons, and a number of peperomia.

I'd also want to recommend some gesneriads, begonias, and ferns, but they don't always do well in wet situations. Of course I also adore some of the semi-aquatics, but very few of the ones I keep are from Latin America.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts