Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this plant a long time ago and just wanted to know what it is exactly? I suspect it is a philo of some sort. I've never used it in a viv before, but have used it in a quarantine setup and suspect it will do very well in a vivarium.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Definitely micans, which is really a form of scandens.
They are different species though?

...aaaand its a great viv plant. Introduce it as 3 node cuttings and watch it grow!

It looks like I could do way less than three node cuttings. It's sending arial roots down at every node. Even in dry southern california summer weather (I keep it wel watered). It looks like even 1 node cuttings would work.

The cutting that I threw into my quarantine tank was three nodes and placed in a quarantine tank consisting of paper towel topped with magnolia leaves and a few cuttings of plants. It has done well (The roots are growing longer but no new leaves with existing leaves maintaining color, posture, strength, etc.) despite being planted in its conditions.

Great viv plant!

However I feel the need to make a correction on the name.
That is Philodendron hederaceum. This specifically is the juvenile form that is commonly referred to as Philodendron micans.

Todd
So what do I have? micans? scandens? or hederaceum? I'm confused It is frogsafe right?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Safe is a relative term. Have you rinsed it well?
Have you quarantined it for a while?
Most of the plants are fine to put in frog tanks. There are only a few out there Id say are unsafe to be around the frogs.
Its mostly the pesticides, fungicides, and foliar fertilizers that are used on commercially produced plants that present an issue for the animals.
Aside from those issues just a good bleaching will kill off any parasites or harmful bacteria

As far as what plant you have , P. micans and P. scandens and several others have apparently been reclassified as P. hederaceum. It seems that it is only really the juvenile forms that look different. If you want to get technical, you could say you have the juvenile form called 'Micans'

Todd

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Safe is a relative term. Have you rinsed it well?
Have you quarantined it for a while?
Most of the plants are fine to put in frog tanks. There are only a few out there Id say are unsafe to be around the frogs.
Its mostly the pesticides, fungicides, and foliar fertilizers that are used on commercially produced plants that present an issue for the animals.
Aside from those issues just a good bleaching will kill off any parasites or harmful bacteria

As far as what plant you have , P. micans and P. scandens and several others have apparently been reclassified as P. hederaceum. It seems that it is only really the juvenile forms that look different. If you want to get technical, you could say you have the juvenile form called 'Micans'

Todd
Thank you for the clarification. I'll look into it a little more to get a better understanding of exactly what you are talking about.

Yes I have rinsed it off very well. And soaked it in a bleach solution, and rinsed again.

Yeah, 1 node cuttings work great. I didn't realize the internodes were so long. This is probably the easiest plant to propagate. Haha.
Good to hear. I agree the nodes are pretty long. I look forward to testing it in a real viv.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought this plant a long time ago and just wanted to know what it is exactly? I suspect it is a philo of some sort. I've never used it in a viv before, but have used it in a quarantine setup and suspect it will do very well in a vivarium.
Where did you get it? if you dont mind how much?

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Sorry, dede, this thread is over 9 years old. Varanoid is still around, but might not remember the details on the purchase 😁 That's one of the less user-friendly aspects of the search bar - bringing up necrothreads all the dang time.

Mark

·
Registered
110 Posts
Where did you get it? if you dont mind how much?
Dede, Philodendron Micans is actually a pretty common houseplant and a brief search of it should bring up a bunch of results. Maybe try eBay but I don't recommend Etsy since it can be pretty pricy on there. Ive even seen it at my local nurseries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.