Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What models of cool mist humidifiers are the best and easiest to plumb? I want to hook one up to one of my vivs. Model number and the best place to get them?

·
Registered
306 Posts
not sure about an actual model number, but if you have Walgreens around you then the ones they carry is what I use. The actual manufacturer may be Sunbeam that makes them. It should be a white base with a blue water compartment and a 2" diameter hole in the top.

here is the pic of mine. really any pharmacy store should carry these. CVS, Eckerds (which is CVS anyway now), some grocery stores, etc.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
That is the model I used until I put it on an uneven surface and flooded the bottom compartment and shorted it out. It worked great and looked like the easiest to plumb out of all the models I saw.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is the rubber stopper for and the beer cup...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ken,
I use the same model as in the picture above and it works well. I've had no leaks and the plumbing was easy. It fills my 50 gallon corner unit with so much mist(the flow is adjustable) that it almost completely obstructs the view of the back wall, and it does so even though the unit is about four or five feet below where the pipe enters the viv. It was around 20 dollars at Walmart. Hope this helps in the search (I went to 3 stores before I found one at Walmart) -Ben

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

the how to's and where to gett hem cheap. I'll check out WalMart first. That will save me at least $10 on one. Would all PVC pipe be ok to plumb it with? I have plenty of 1/2" pipe around, so all I would need is the reducer and some 1/2" fittings.

Ben,

What did you use to plumb yours?

Ken

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I would reccomend to find one now. A lot of places don't carry them in the summer...you might be able to find some on clearance in the spring, but they aren't that expensive anyway.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The rubber stopper acts as a reducer. There is a hole drilled into the center of it, and the hose goes through the hole. The rubber stopper is then jammed into the humidifier opening, making a tight seal.

Luke

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is the same model I use, but all I look for is a design that is easy to plumb. Also if you can wait a few more months the price of humidifiers will drop, because its the off season.

I plumbed mine with all pvc pipe. I hate it. It is a pain to remove the top so I can refill it. I would use a small section of flexible pipe so you can remove the plumbing form the humidifier easy, and use pvc for the rest.
Another thing you might want to think about is putting a valve on each tank if you are going to use it on multiple tanks. That one one tank doesn't get the majority. Target has a few humdifiers that would work. I am looking at the 3 gal model, but going to wait until it's on sale ;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have used these for several years now and love the results. They are ultrasonic humidifiers. Like Ben said the PVC would cause some problems when trying to fill the resevoirs in my opinion. I used an old flexable Vacume type hose. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes. They are sold as pool pump return hoses I believe. They work great and you can run them all the way up to the top of the tank. They will slide right on to the pvc and will be tight enough that they do not leak. I don't even glue them. Hope this helps a little bit.

TonyT

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
beware, i bought a cold mist humidifier for my house the other day, and to my surprise no mist comes out it says on the label "new technology, mist wont be invisible".
model honeywell hcm-530

glad i didnt buy it for a tank

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ken,

I built an adapter using pvc pipe connectors from Lowe's and it works well. One part fits into the hole of the unit and the other part (inside) fits the bilge hose(like shop vac hose) I used to pipe the mist into the viv. I bonded the two parts together. Here's the adapter separate from the unit:

here's a picture of the adapter in the unit:

here's a pic of the viv w/out the humidifier on (be nice it's a work in progress):

here's a pic with the humidifier on (you can see the reflection of the hose I used since I took the pic during the testing phase before I hid the hose and the unit):

-ben

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
That is an awesome viv! What is that wood in the back and where did you get it? There is a lot of water area, what are you planning on keeping in there.

Luke

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks. The wood in the back is just cork panel I bought at a local orchid place, and the root looking stuff is African bog wood from a local pet store. I haven't decided what's going in there yet. You're right that there is a lot of water. I am planning on draining it down a couple of inches, but I've been sort of lazy about it since I'm not completely happy about the way it looks and since I don't know what's going in there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts