Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just came into the ownership of a used aquarium tank. I'm not sure how many gallons, but it's 60 inch high by 16 by 13 diamond-shaped . I was thinking about creating a tropical topiary in there and possibly adding some frogs. What frogs, if any, would be able to fit in there?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
THAT looks really fun. Is it one of those bubble column aquariums?

I found a GREAT display case on craigslist for 20$ but apparently I've used up my allotment of Husband Tolerance this week. It is "too big".

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It appears to have a capacity of around 40 gallons, but it is definitely not suited for a terrestrial species. As far as dart frogs go, that eliminates most of the larger species. With that capacity, you'd probably want to go with a thumbnail dart frog that does well in groups, such as northern variabilis.

It would probably be great for most treefrog species, but I don't know much about the care of treefrogs. It would be cool, but I imagine it'd be tough to use it for breeding due to limited access.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going the route of tree frogs or group darts as I'd rather not have to deal with territory issues and the such since I'm just beginning. I'd totally go for a tree boa, but my roommate will absolutely kill me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
WHOA! building in there would be like building a ship in a bottle.... then once you housed something in it, it would be like a piggy bank, to get anything out youd have to shatter it to pieces. really cool aquarium, but honestly you would never be able to light it for frogs(the plants really). my 55 verts are VERY difficult to plant due to this i cant imagine doing this beast?

edit: okay, build one BIG stick with java, orchids, broms, and lower it on to the base of leaf litter (i assume bottom would have to be hydroton?) still no access once its started :(

·
Registered
508 Posts
I dunno - if there's a will, there's a way. 1st of all, ditch the roomie ;)

2nd - what kind of access do you have to the innards?

About the lighting, Moty - is there a way to get creative with LED's going up and down?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only way to get in is via the top. However, if necessary, I have the tools to make a hinge door in one of the sides.

·
Registered
508 Posts
A full length hinge door? We might be on to something. This would give you all kinds of access to the innards.

Moty, are you still pondering about those lights? There should be a way to light this puppy up with a major meltdown. This is why I was thinking LED's -

As far as frogs go, I don't know anything about them, but have you looked into Mantellas? They're awfully pretty, and I think they'd be big enough to see. In a tank like this, you're going to want arboreal critters and, preferably, diurnal arboreal critters.

I've seen some remarkable stuff on some of these forums, so I know that someone should be able to toss out a few more ideas ~

·
Registered
802 Posts
That is definitely buildable, though it will be more of a challenge getting everything in there. Then again, the challenge is half the fun of building a viv. You might also be able to do a really long viv if you have the room by putting it on its side. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
yeah ive tinkered with LEDs and and plant growth, but just havent been impressed with the lumens thats created nor the plant growth i expect. ive been in the LED business for 7 years and they have come a LONG LONG way but plant growth AND aesthetically appealing light isnt something ive seen accomplished yet. not to mention LEDs give off more heat than most people realize one you get into decent lumens.

·
Registered
701 Posts
LEDS won't work. Someone used 4 26w CFLs and 2 20w T5HOs on the sides, and was only 48x18x18. I recommend 4 T5HOs (High output T5s) and perhaps 8 26w CFLs or a 260w metal halide. Imagine doing a GS background... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wouldn't do a background in this tank. I'd get a a long piece of wood or multiple pieces and create a tree and have a bunch of broms and then put some ranitomeya in there. Personally I'd go with Varadero or some fantasticus. The hinged door sounds good but I wouldn't want to do it all the way up because I might not see on of the frogs or it could be on the door and then jump out when I'm not paying attention.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
LEDS won't work. Someone used 4 26w CFLs and 2 20w T5HOs on the sides, and was only 48x18x18. I recommend 4 T5HOs (High output T5s) and perhaps 8 26w CFLs or a 260w metal halide. Imagine doing a GS background... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
what do you mean " Someone used 4 26w CFLs and 2 20w T5HOs on the sides, and was only 48x18x18." ? yeah they OVER lit the viv.... A LOT, thats not required.

however i do agree T5Ho with a remote ballast helps keep heat down. but the required fixture would be interesting... if you could even do it?

i think you would have to use a humidifier at the top of this viv just to keep the top moist.

also dont use a back ground

·
Registered
701 Posts
what do you mean " Someone used 4 26w CFLs and 2 20w T5HOs on the sides, and was only 48x18x18." ? yeah they OVER lit the viv.... A LOT, thats not required.

however i do agree T5Ho with a remote ballast helps keep heat down. but the required fixture would be interesting... if you could even do it?

i think you would have to use a humidifier at the top of this viv just to keep the top moist.

also dont use a back ground
Actually, it's not too overlit. The person is growing broms with good color, and a few other high lumen plants. And by the way, what I meant with the background is, you would have to crawl into the tank, spray some foam, and *try* to crawl out . I'm not even sure the sides were T5HO, i'm just trusting my bad memory. Search "48x18x18 vert construction" or something like that.
edit http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/71916-48x18x18-vert-build-log.html

1 - 20 of 38 Posts