Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually have used red worms from worm man, but I was just trying to think of something else I could use to help break down waste and dea plant matter. Any ideas would be helpful. I already have a steady source springtials and isopods in there but they just aren't doing the job.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I guess I'm not understanding the problem. I tend to consider an accumulation of plant litter as a good thing because it provides both structure and substrate for both the frogs and all the little critters you hope are growing in the viv. The litter accumulation also means you are locking up carbon, nitrogen, and other nutrients in a way that provides a slow release back into the system and thus avoids toxic spikes. Also, if the plant material is broken down too quickly by worms etc., you significantly increase nutrient turnover by breaking down the nutrients from large, to microscopic particles in one step. This tends to send the nutrients straight from the leaf, to the worm, to microbes like bacteria and fungi which are the true decomposers of the system. The microfauna like springtails, mites, and other goodies for the frogs tend to get bypassed in the process. The quick turnover of nutrients also encourages rapid plant growth which is not usually a good thing in a vivarium.

Of course I may be misunderstanding your particular conditions but in general, I'm not a huge fan of introducing things that rapidly break down dead plant biomass. I prefer that it break down slowly through multiple steps.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It definitly is good to have plant matter in the tank, but sometimes it can biuld up and not break down quick enough. So in return the ground looks dirty and not green and plush. The worms have worked well in the past and seem to reproduce in the tank. Also they have to replenish the system with nutrients because of the worm castings. I just wanted to get a general consensus of what people used for the removal of waste that is left behingds from the frogs. Thanks for all of the info.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I don't like using worms in my enclosures as they not only break down the leaf litter too quickly they will also quickly degrade the integrity of a drip wall.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.