Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK with all these great shots you guys and gals are posting you have made me wonder what kind of cameras and lenses everyone is using. This will also help me determine which camera I should get. Thanks in advance,
Barry

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

Canon T2i with Canon 100mm f /2.8

Next tax return I plan on upgrading to a 5D Mark II A buddy of mine had one and i got to snap a few shots with it. I was throughly pleased when i realized the eyepiece actually reflects how the picture will look. No more jumping back and forth to the display, making adjustments ect.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Canon 40D, Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro

Honestly if I were you I'd just look for a high end point and shoot with a good macro capability. There's no reason to spend thousands of dollars on DSLR + equipment if you aren't planning on pursuing photography as a passion, and there's no reason to invest in a DSLR body unless you're planning on spending money on good glass.

I'd look at the Canon G series cameras. They produce spectacular images, go pretty wide and pretty far and can take wonderful macro pictures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you're serious, think about a used DSLR. Some of yesterday's 7 - 8 megapixel DSLRs (Pentex K100, Olympus E500, and etc.) will take great shots. And who knows, may start you in a new hobby!:)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Instead of buying a point and shoot, why not find a used entry level dslr? If you are willing to do a little reading to figure out the added features they have to offer, its definitely worth it imo. I picked mine up a over year ago for 300$, and today you could probably find something similar for close to 200$. Here is my best shot using my very entry level canon xti, with the stock lens, with a little lightroom post processing for good measure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would also recommend an entry level DSLR. You can usually pick them up in the 200 to 400 dollar range. There are always some on ebay but I prefer a local source so you can see what you actually getting. I favor Canon because i love their 100 mm macro lenses. But all of the majors build great entry level cameras.

just my 2 cents.

Steve

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I still say you'll get far better results out of a high end point and shoot than out of a DSLR with the kit lens. You can still fit a point and shoot easily in your pocket/purse. You won't have to worry about carrying multiple lenses around (which are a pain to switch on the go).

If you're interested in taking photography on as a new hobby, then go with the DSLR. Just know that it's very expensive. Almost every lens you'll want to purchase will be at least as expensive as the body you buy will be, most will be at least twice as much. If your plan is to only use the kit lens, then don't bother. The point and shoot will go wider and have better reach and still take just as good of pictures.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. I have an old canon rebel eos 35mm but for some reason it eats the battery quick so I dont use it much anymore. Had a point and shoot but you seem to get a little careless with them when you can just put it in your pocket. I am looking for an entry level because I dont take a whole lot of pictures but when I do I would like them to look like the one you guys have posted.
Barry

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't really take photos of frogs but I have:

Mamiya M645J
Mamiya-Sekor C 80mm f/2.8

Canon TLB
Canon 50mm f/1.8 FD

Canon EOS Rebel 2000
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L
Canon EF 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS

I shoot film 90% of the time. Its my other hobby.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Canon 50D / 100mm 2.8 Macro / 430EX flash. Took this through glass, unfortunately, so it isn't as sharp as it could have been. By the way, there is 0% cropping on this shot. Check out the little "nodules" just to the inside of each of each nostril...what's the deal? Anyone know?

Buy as cheap a digital SLR as you can...spend your money on lenses. Your rig is only as good as your glass.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love my DSLR, but I think you might be better off with a really good point and shoot.

The main advantages of DSLRs over P&S are 1. lots of lens choices 2. lots of external flashes 3. easy manual controls 4. smaller depth of field (blurrier backgrounds)

The main advantages of P&S over DSLRs are 1. lots of versatility for relatively cheap 2. easier to use 3. more portable 4. larger depth of field (easier to get the complete frog in focus)

If you are not planning on lots of different lenses/flashes, and plan on using auto mode, then the only advantage of DSLRs is small depth of field (which can be very difficult to use effectively)

DSLRs will definitely give better pictures, but will take a lot longer to learn, and will probably cost more $ also.

If you go with a DSLR, I would recommend a Canon or Nikon because they are more common and therefore, there are more used lenses available. There are also more lens choices.

And to actually answer your question, I use a Canon 60D and 100mm f/2.8 macro lens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts