Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found these white worm-like things on my glass moving around in condensation. check it out:

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Picture doesnt show.. but check out nemerteans. Found them in my viv, made a thread like this, and Ed helped me out (thanks ed). Not harmful to frogs but will dessimate microfauna. Not saying thats what it is since I cant see a pic, but check it out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry i finally got the picture to load. they bend in the middle. I hope they dont wipe out my springs, I just seeded the tank:(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just added two springtail cultures on saturday so I suppose that would explain it. Do I have anything to worry about?

·
Registered
275 Posts
And about how big are they? I suppose if you have frogs in there you've been feeding it could be a fruit fly larvae......

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are the width of my springs, and probably 3-4mm in lenths, the move in a writhing motion, almost snake-like.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
they are the width of my springs, and probably 3-4mm in lenths, the move in a writhing motion, almost snake-like.
Yea, sounds like Grindals. You have nothing to worry about... they'll die off eventually when the springs take over.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are literally all over the glass! then I found a white worm that is even thinner, it is twice the length and is curling from the center outwards, almost like a grapevine look.

·
Registered
446 Posts
+1 Grindal... now I can see the pic and description.

Nemerteans I mentioned before are longer and more pinkish.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It could also be just a fruit fly maggot. That's basically what they look like when they get caught in a droplet of water. They squirm around, but they can't get out. It's hard to say though since 1) the picture isn't super clear and 2) there's nothing really nearby that can be used to get a feel for its size. From what I saw, they tend to stretch both ends left, then both ends right in a fairly coordinated manner and back and forth like that.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Most likely grindal worms. They're harmless and often come along with springtail cultures.
How do you know that they are grindal worms (Enchytraeus buchholzi) and not free living nematodes? As I understand it, grindal worms don't like high water content in thier habitat as it can reduce to stop reproduction.

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts