Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this crawling in my Citronell's Viv tonight, no idea what the heck it is. It can ball up, stretch out, lift it's head high and leaves a trail. Does not look like any slug I have ever seen before, any one have an idea what it is? About 3/8"-1/2" long

Attachments

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
Isopods will take care of them.
I was under the impression that only one of the really large isopods helped with control and didn't eliminate them. (see Alan Cann's link in my post above). The smaller isopods don't seem to do anything except get eaten by the nemerteans.

Ed

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
How about Oranges? I swear I have seen them go on the attack and eat fruit flies.....I didn't get a video though....So I have no proof. I found something like this the other day it was buried in the substrate and I only could find one....Which I am pretty sure there is more if I found one.

I was under the impression that only one of the really large isopods helped with control and didn't eliminate them. (see Alan Cann link in my post above). The smaller isopods don't seem to do anything except get eaten by the nemerteans.

Ed

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
All I can say is that in tanks that once had a few nemerteans the introduction of isopods led to the disaapearence of them and a surge in the number of isopods. May have been other factors as well.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
That looks an awful lot like a leech. Stretch it out and see if you can see repeating ridges. If it does then I think its good evidence that it might be a leech.

In other posts the nemertarians always looked white, though I suppose there's no reason why different species can't have different coloration...

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
That looks an awful lot like a leech. Stretch it out and see if you can see repeating ridges. If it does then I think its good evidence that it might be a leech.

In other posts the nemertarians always looked white, though I suppose there's no reason why different species can't have different coloration...
It's not a leech or a terrestrial flatworm. It is a nemertean, they do move in that manner and they do come in different colors.

Ed

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
All I can say is that in tanks that once had a few nemerteans the introduction of isopods led to the disaapearence of them and a surge in the number of isopods. May have been other factors as well.
What kind(s) of isopods did you add? I know other people that tried the various dwarf and the isopods disappeared and the nemertean population kept increasing. Prey is speared, paralyzed with toxins and digestive enzymes and then fed on..

Ed

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
How about Oranges? I swear I have seen them go on the attack and eat fruit flies.....I didn't get a video though....So I have no proof. I found something like this the other day it was buried in the substrate and I only could find one....Which I am pretty sure there is more if I found one.
Check out the link to Alan Cann's site. Oranges are I think a color variation of Porcellio scaber and are not as large as the ones he had luck with...

Ed

Reactions: Azurel

·
Registered
915 Posts
We have seen these also,but as per the photos on Alans site,we also have a large heavily stocked culture of O.asellus,i recognise it instantly,some of our vivs have silly no.s of the dwarf white,wood louce but i will have to try and work out if these also have the N.'s.If we heavily loaded our "infected" vivs, with onicellus are there any observations to suggest they would compete with the dwarf white.My intention was to feed the young onicellus to the frogs,as a stopgap/variation to the dwarf whites,coupled with the giant O. and a fast moving little iso that i am told comes from peru.
Apologies if this is slightly left field of the original Q. but i am sure many would not want to wipe out the dwarf white in favour of onicellus,which,from Alan's report does not do well in vivs,ha that is if one has both a good stock of D.W. and N.'s
thanks
Stu

·
Registered
314 Posts

My "little buddies" are tan..with black markings...:) Quite an attractive "morph". ;) JVK

1 - 20 of 25 Posts