Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had these brown spots pop up on my soli-mutata, pilea moon valley, and my peperomia. How can I prevent it?

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
163 Posts
Brown spots in plants can be a lot of potential issues. Maybe nutrients, light scorching, humidity issues, fungal or viral disease. What conditions are the plants in? How is the drainage? Does a lot of water tend to sit on the leaves? Do the brown spots seem mushy?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a fairly new setup, 2.5 months old. I have a 2" false bottom made with egg crate. Water doesn't sit on the leaves too long, i have a fan that comes on several times a day. Lighting is a typical led. I haven't really noticed that they were mushy so to speek but they definitely felt weird where the brown spots were

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brown spots in plants can be a lot of potential issues. Maybe nutrients, light scorching, humidity issues, fungal or viral disease. What conditions are the plants in? How is the drainage? Does a lot of water tend to sit on the leaves? Do the brown spots seem mushy?
I have been cutting the leaves off as they turn brown hoping that maybe whatever it is it wouldn't spread

·
Registered
592 Posts
The plants look like rooted bunches from a vendor, which are usually grown in higher light and lower moisture compared to most frog vivs. The old foliage often dies back and the new growth will be better suited to your conditions.

Also, a few of the plants shown tend to get dead spots on their foliage, even with just a little standing water.

Also also, new vivs with a bunch of fresh leaf litter tend to get mold booms and busts, which can sometimes take advantage of the plants.

I don’t remove the spotty leaves on my plants. If I was meticulous about immaculate foliage, I’d let those plants establish, then cut them at ground level. The new growth would be good, and now I have extra cuttings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plants look like rooted bunches from a vendor, which are usually grown in higher light and lower moisture compared to most frog vivs. The old foliage often dies back and the new growth will be better suited to your conditions.

Also, a few of the plants shown tend to get dead spots on their foliage, even with just a little standing water.

Also also, new vivs with a bunch of fresh leaf litter tend to get mold booms and busts, which can sometimes take advantage of the plants.

I don’t remove the spotty leaves on my plants. If I was meticulous about immaculate foliage, I’d let those plants establish, then cut them at ground level. The new growth would be good, and now I have extra cuttings.
Thanks! That makes perfect sense and sounds like what i have going on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts