Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking a month after the morph? is that too short, too long?

G

·
0 Posts
I got a group of azureus that were about a month and a half out of water and every thing was fine with them after the shipping although I would think thumbs should probably be older. I would say that older is definitly better though.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would hold at least half of them to sell as sexed pairs. With vents this would only take about 5-7 months. The others i would sell at about 3 months. I think alot of people are selling frogs to small, especially if shipping thumbs i would wait 2- 3 months. I know someone who had some retiics shipped to them and they still had tails, this is unbelievable and should never happen. All the retics looked really bad and probably died or will die, and at least all be runts. Since this is your first foray into selling them, why not wait as long as possible. It will give you enough time to make sure they are developing right, and give you stronger stock to ship.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yeah I ordered a bunch of froglets and some of them had barely came out of the water. One azureus didn't make it, but I got my money back on him. I like buying from Patrick Nabors, you get half grown frogs from him,

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome. thanks for the info! They are fun to watch at this age anyway :) more fun for me in the mean time!

Is the market still fairly strong for them? I have so many tads that I fear I will be stuck with tons of them in a few months. How long can I keep 50 in a 10g lol!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Keep them as long as you can properly care for them, it would be better to ship a little small than to have them all suffer due to you being overcrowded. You may not think thumb froglets eat that much, but when there is 50 it adds up.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Buy 19 quart sterilites, add springtail cultures. 2 or 3 per sterilite. I wouldnt know how the market is, but i think its a good idea to sell pairs of some. After a 3 months move to ten gallons.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is a quart sterilite? and will springtails just culture themselves inside of it?

a link to somewhere that sells the containers would help as well.

thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The market is still fairly strong but 50 is alot of vents. Jace the 19qt. rubbermaids would be the best way to go, but at 2 per container that is 25 fairly large cages to have around. I prefer to keep thumb froglets in individual containers to avoid any undo stress so something smaller would be better, also more cost effective. Look into some container from superior enterprise, http://www.reptilepackaging.com They have some fairly large containers, that are easily stacked and relatively inexpensive. Make sure to order the type w/out holes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the good part about keeping 3 together though is to be able to see when they pair off.

i also need to look at efficiency though. feeding dozens of containers with frogs each night is hard when you work 60+ hours per week (often more).

Those containers go up to like 196oz's, and seem much more affordable than sterilite containers (googled it and saw what they are). What is the minimum sized container (oz's wise) to try to house 3 froglets in?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Unfortunately for me I can figure oz. into size in my head. The 19 quart sterilites or rubbermaids, are only $3 apiece usually. So if you bought 17 to 20 your looking at about $60. The question is where the hell do you put 20 of these things, Gecks right they are rather large enclosures. The springtail culture will run you about another $15 for containers and $15 or so for medium. so $30 altogether. Maybe a couple cheap shoplights $15 with bulbs. pothos, and more pothos for the plants. that about free. I would culture at least 15 melonogasters a week at first. maybe you could wholesale half of them to a large breeder. This is one of those good dilemnas i wish i was having right now.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The next question is where does he get tons of springtails, cultures are realtively inexpensive to make, but it takes awhile before they are booming.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
15 cultures per week :shock:

that is quite a lot lol. i generally only make 1 culture per week (if that) for the 5 adults. I will jump it up to at least 3 per week though in the mean time. I use those 32 oz cups, so makes for a lot of flies.

the $ of all this really doesnt matter that much to me, especially since after selling 2-3 forgs I will have all my money back anyway. It is just the space and time factor.

I have this next week off work (good timing) so I will begin figuring things out. I may reorganize my office closet and make it into a froglet room. My wife is gonna love that :roll:

So back to my other question.. is there any chance at all that 2 or 3 froglets will make it (with limited stress) in a 190 oz container (~1.5 gallons) for a couple months? I would also have some larger tanks on the side ready to x-fer the ones that dont sell within the first couple months. Would make life a lot easier though!

The wholesaler idea isnt a bad thought either. Would lose $$, but the time savings factor would be very worth it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
He needs to get started immediately. Set them up now, with the sandwich tupperwares, and call black jungle for some cocobark. Maybe 2 weeks later you will have some decent populations. Caring for 50 frogs is a lot harder i guess when you start figuring the actual logistics of it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I am figuring out lol... damn horny male! I got 10 more eggs yesterday too. I need to just stop pulling some eggs for a while and see if they will just raise themselves in the tank. 110g's, so I may not even notice if some end up as frogs.

I actually already have a couple Springtail cultures going that I started about a month ago. Lots of springtails in there too. I will set up a couple more though. Already have the supplies for them. Vivarium Concepts is down the road from, so I utulize Cindy quite a bit in keeping up with supplies.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah i just checked her site out yesterday, seems she got the cheapest price on cocoslabs. Its a cool site too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My tank is the main picture on her homepage. I had her put it together for me last year. Did a great job on it.

Thanks for all your help by the way. I am going to start up on getting their new homes put together today.

What local stores would carry the sterilite containers? Home Depot, Container Store, other?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Taking care of a large number of froglets is alot of work. I am not sure of how many have actually taken care of a large number, but it is very time consuming, especially with daily feedings. As with keeping 2-3 per container it is doable, but I would be more comfortable using a smaller container and keeping them seperate. Here is a link for a smaller deli cup from Superior, that will work quite well for keeping them seperate. http://superiorenterprise.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_40&products_id=202

1 - 20 of 28 Posts