Dendroboard banner

What information do you ask from a breeder when buying frogs?

• Where the parents came from. I am interested to track their history.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are well known, that's all the info I need.

• I don't need any info.

• Other, please post your opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am interested to find out what type of information, if any, would people ask from a breeder when buying his/her frogs. It seems to me that some are more interested to find out the history of the frogs they are buying than others.

Also what would you do when the breeder is secretive about his/her frogs history?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Well with most of the frogs I seek, the first thing I ask is are they available? How long is the waitlist? How much $?
After finding out all of the above, if I figure the frog(s) are realisticly available to me, then I ask about the bloodlines.
I see no reason a breeder should keep their info secret...if they are, either they have an illegal source of wildcaught, or are greedy, and don't want you to acquire the same breeding stock they have, another potential reason they might want to keep a secret is they are selling hybrids, and want to pass them off as a rare morph or species.

How about people who got their breeding stock from a pet store, etc. and cannot come up with any info, other than what they look like and what they were sold as?
This is my situation with the auratus I received for my birthday, which breed regularly...I asked the pet store where they came from, and they said they didn't even order them...they came as a bonus with a large shipment of tropical fish!
Bye

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok... thanks for clarifying what I meant to say... what I meant is what type of *history* information, if any, would people ask from a *breeder* when buying his/her frogs.

Obviously, pet shop animals can be hard to track down their history.

SB

PS: what's up with the "Bye"??

Well with most of the frogs I seek, the first thing I ask is are they available? How long is the waitlist? How much $?
After finding out all of the above, if I figure the frog(s) are realisticly available to me, then I ask about the bloodlines.
I see no reason a breeder should keep their info secret...if they are, either they have an illegal source of wildcaught, or are greedy, and don't want you to acquire the same breeding stock they have, another potential reason they might want to keep a secret is they are selling hybrids, and want to pass them off as a rare morph or species.

How about people who got their breeding stock from a pet store, etc. and cannot come up with any info, other than what they look like and what they were sold as?
This is my situation with the auratus I received for my birthday, which breed regularly...I asked the pet store where they came from, and they said they didn't even order them...they came as a bonus with a large shipment of tropical fish!
Bye

G

·
I go to the extreme to find out as much info as I can.
When I bought my first Orange Terribilis, from Sean S., I know they were fresh imports from Germany. I asked for a copy of the import paper work, which he was more than happy to give me. I contacted the German supplier who told me who he got his frogs from. I kept doing this until I traced the line back to the original parents. And if they had local data I would have asked for that to.

I want to be able to find out where, exactly, my frogs originated from. If a breeder is secret about this, then you shouldn't buy frogs from them. Now some cases are not going to allow you to trace the info back. And they can only give you a bloodline. Of course I want the Dart Registry up and running and would like to see people keep better track of the frogs bloodlines and not cross them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:D misread your post... Bye is one of those word that could have other meaning/s... same like the word "whatever". Thanks for clarifying. I am sorry.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Re: What information do you ask from a breeder when buying f

steelcube said:
Hi,

I am interested to find out what type of information, if any, would people ask from a breeder when buying his/her frogs. It seems to me that some are more interested to find out the history of the frogs they are buying than others.
Assuming captive bred animals, I try to find out the trail of breeders back to the original wc. Usually you can get the breeder you got them from, the breeder your breeder got them from, and if your lucky, one more step back before the trail gets cold. I also like to find out who else has frogs from that line. Not that breeder's line, but the line in general - where are more frogs that share a common origin. This gives you a pool of people you might potentially want to swap, borrow, or loan breeding stock with.

Also what would you do when the breeder is secretive about his/her frogs history?
Run away. At best that person is a butthead, at worst they are a criminal. There are too many great people and very cool frogs in the hobby for me to waste time playing head games with a profiteer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts