Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is an old topic, but some of the information I've read here seems out of date. Plus the pics are missing.

Anyway, I was reading the article:

"Molecular Phylogenetic Evidence for a Mimetic Radiation in Peruvian Poison Frogs Supports a Mullerian Mimicry Hypothesis. Rebecca Symula, Rainer Schulte and Kyle Summers. Proceedings: Biological Sciences, Vol. 268, No. 1484 (Dec. 7, 2001), pp. 2415-2421"

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1088895&blobtype=pdf

Based on this:
  • 'Tarapoto' imitate, R. variabilis.
  • 'Banded Intermedius' imitate, R. fantasticus
  • 'Yurimaguensis' imitate, R. ventrimaculata

I have generally heard:
  • 'Cainarachi Valley' imitate, R. variabilis
  • 'Varadero' imitate, R. fantasticus
  • 'Yurimaguensis' imitate, R. ventrimaculata
  • 'Banded Intermedius' imitate, R. summersi

I've also seen pictures to suggest Chatuza may imitate R. summersi 'Huallaga' with Banded imitating R. summersi 'Sauce.' I know not all imitators imitate something else, But I'd be curious to here what those here believe most imitators imitate, with specifics to the region. For example I think 'Yurimaguensis' look most like R. ventrimaculata 'Borja Ridge.' At least mine do.

Justin

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
From a mimicry perspective, Cainarachi valley and Tarapoto are basically the same-- mimicking the sympatric R. variabilis.

Keep in mind, the taxonomy has changed a bit since that paper was published, so banded imitator are mimics of R. summersi rather than R. fantastica. What is called 'yurimaguensis' in that paper are just the lowland striped imitator, which mimic ventrimaculata. There is no need to specify Borja ridge, as all ventris in that general area look the same.

-Evan

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the same PDF as the one I already posted.

Are you saying all Ventrimaculata looks that same? OR all vents from Borja ridge look the same? Or all vents that are considered 'Peruvian Gold' or 'French Guyana' or 'Borja Ridge' look the same?

Justin

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking for something more precise. Anyway I ended of getting some 'borja ridge' vents to compare with my yuri imis.

Here's the vent:

Here's the imi:

Interesting similarities, but I don't think it is as perfect a comparison as I can find.

I was thinking of getting some Fantasticus to compare with my Varadero next, but I don't know if I should do standard or lowland or something else. I was going to get some lowland, but they were out of my price range.

Justin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts