Dendroboard banner

2961 - 2980 of 3001 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Bummer! :( How did you kill it? Just asking to avoid doing something wrong myself. I just recently learned to cut off the flower so it would continue to grow... :confused:
I don't know. It was a cutting that was just starting to root. I have heard that it is touchy. It's not super easy like regular Aglaonema is.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Here are a few new shots of one of my mossery terrariums.

All of the green moss that you see in this setup is new growth. This picture shows Polytrichum growing back after transplanting here. I wish I had some more Polytrichum. I can't find it right around here. It would be cool to make a whole planting with it.

Here is a really cool new plant that I am testing out, twinflower (Linnaea borealis). I hope it grow.

·
Registered
334 Posts
All of the African rachis Bulbophyllums (Megaclinium) are exposed to fairly bright conditions in nature. I grow maximum in Cattleya light and give it a slight winter drying. That change usually triggers flowers for people who grow them in more typical Bulbo. conditions (shady and moist).
Thanks for your tips.

I grow B. purpureorhachis with other Megacliniums, like B. maximum and falcatum, but I have not had any luck with this one.
I am thinking about bringing it to SEPOS Show in Phily to see if I can get advise from the members there.
Maybe it’s not as easy bloomer as maximum and falcatum are?

I think I posted these pics here or “… got blooming?” thread but I really love those bulbos with nice rachis.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I kind of neglected my first A. pictum tricolor I got from a member here (is Chuck still around?)
I kept it with way too high humidity and strong sun light and it had only 2 leaves left when I realized (I was in and out of the hospital that time, too). The other leaves turned yellow and melted and dropped...

So I chopped it in to 3 pieces (top with leaves, mid-stem only and one with roots) and planted them in sphagnum moss. Nothing happened for a looooong time but eventually they started shooting some roots, then some leaves. It took additional couple of months for the stem only (mid portion) but finally it has one leaf!

I noticed that they grow well when I grow them as a house plant rather than a vivarium plant. I use plastic water trays to give them a bit of humidity but that’s about it.
It seems to shoot leaves with higher contrast when I grow them dryer.

J.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Here are a few new shots of one of my mossery terrariums.

All of the green moss that you see in this setup is new growth. This picture shows Polytrichum growing back after transplanting here. I wish I had some more Polytrichum. I can't find it right around here. It would be cool to make a whole planting with it.

Here is a really cool new plant that I am testing out, twinflower (Linnaea borealis). I hope it grow.

I tried twinflower in a tropical setup, and it did not do well. Let me know how it does for you in more favorable conditions!

2961 - 2980 of 3001 Posts