Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 3001 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is such a successful thread dealing with flowers, I thought a thread on foliage would be great too. Since flowers are so fleeting, a lot of the look of the vivarium relies more on the shape, color and patterns of the plants themselves. Hopefully, this will be a successful thread.

Here's one to start. The Brazilian Philodendron 'Burle-Marx Fantasy' has always been one of my favorite philos for the terrarium. It has very nice color and pattern and the leaves remain relatively small. Several cuttings grown together will make a great shingle effect. Depending on the intensity of the light, the leaf color can range from green to blue to even slightly purple. On top of that it has some nice intricate markings. It is actually a species that has never been formally named. Supposedly rare in the wild and it is not very common in cultivation too.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Dischidia astephana is a highland endemic to Malaysia and Borneo...

I've never tried it in a viv but it should do well in bright spot that dries out a tad every now and then.

D. ovata comes from Indonesia and Australia. There is also one from the Philippines I believe...

Lepanthes calodictyon (spelling may not be right). This was a great plant until I killed it... :(

I suppose I could post about 45 billion bromeliad photos but I will refrain since we already have a "Post your best brom" thread.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I know this one has been posted but it deserves to be on this thread for sure. It's a Ficus (I mistakenly typed Piper since that was once what it was thought to be) I believe and some think it may be villosa although I'm sure I agree.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, this is doing well. Nice pictures everyone. L. calodictyon is definitely one of my favorites.

Here's a little begonia from Lita Ecuador. It might be B. maurandiae or
B. secunda. If not, I'm sure it is related to those. The "big" leaves in the photo are a little over an inch. Combined with the growing habit and crystalline texture, it is one of my favorite begonias.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:( it can be temperamental, but once you get it established it takes care of itself. You should try again. :D . I've had it for over a decade now and I don't pay much attention to it's needs. I just enjoy it.

·
Banned
2,788 Posts
Lepanthes calodictyon (spelling may not be right). This was a great plant until I killed it...
:shock: :cry: stunning little orchid tho 8)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think it will be possible to really appreciate this plant by looking at a photo, but here's one anyway. :lol: This is Algaonema picta Tricolor. All the leaves come out with varying degrees of blacklish green, silver/grey, bright green and chatreuse. I know that's four colors...lol. In the terrarium, it looks like a small colorful Dieffenbachia.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Monstera frederichsthalii

It was a little slow-growing at first but once it settled in, it started to do great.

1 - 20 of 3001 Posts