Dendroboard banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
So maybe I could look into orchids
Oh, most definitely. Fair warning though - you may be seduced. It's a deep, deep rabbit hole, is orchidophilia.

This site (linked below) has loads and loads of useful info for comparing orchids based on natural history / habitat needs. [Cool, steadily moist, medium light] vs [hot, needs to dry between +/- weekly waterings, blazing sun] etc etc.

Definitely check it out. I'm not offering it as a vendor resource - just as a place to do comparative research. The best way to fail with a plant is to be unreasonable with it.
  • Some are very forgiving, but some are very exacting.
  • Many are "easy" if you just give them what they need, otherwise they are "hard".
  • To even begin to succeed, and thus gain experience and confidence, you need to 1) meet their needs and 2) not expect what they just can't offer. The link can help A WHOLE LOT with that.
link:
A's O's

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
ALso - if you are in a truly humid spot. You mentioned patio gardening. Some of the funnest patio orchid setups I've seen involved basically chicken-wire or plastic-mesh "logs" rolled up over a mix of LFS and coarse bark. Orchids festooned these "logs", which had misters on timers.

Just a wild thought.

good luck!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts