Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey there! Great looking viv!

Since you have all that climbing space, D. Leucomeles and also R.varibilis should really appreciate this one. Tincs obviously do climb, but much less than the other two. Usually you first pick out the dart species and then build a viv for that - it does look like a climbable viv, so that may work best. Leucs can be quite heavy-footed if you are planning on adding sensitive / fragile plants (saw your other post).

Separately, are you planning on replacing that sphag with leaf-litter? All that spag is wayyy too wet for darts (they are susceptible to foot rot).

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
As @eMCRay mentioned, that moss is going to hold way too much moisture.

Additionally, some of those plants are going to become a nuisance in a vivarium that size. The monstera will outgrow it and the large leafed plant on the left side likely will as well.

As for frogs: Dendrobates leucomelas are great frogs for beginners and they will use the entire space.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that pic was from a week ago without leaf litter, but now I have added a good leaf litter layer. Also thanks for the feedback, I also have 1 more question do you think I could house some mourning geckos in there additionally with the leucomeles?

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
Mixing species is a big no no.

Search for "mixing" and you'll find lots of threads explaining why.

On the moss/leaf litter, if you've just added the lead litter on top of the moss then the tank is still going to hold too much moisture, and it'll rot your leaf litter very quickly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mixing species is a big no no.

Search for "mixing" and you'll find lots of threads explaining why.

On the moss/leaf litter, if you've just added the lead litter on top of the moss then the tank is still going to hold too much moisture, and it'll rot your leaf litter very quickly.
Just to add onto that - big no no, especially for vivs that size and without having cared for each animal separately before. If you are even thinking of going down that path you will need experience and lots and lots of space and time. The requirements for geckos and darts are just too wide apart (temp, humidity, UV lighting, etc.). Otherwise you'll get animals fighting and eating / killing each other (even if its something as simple as chasing them away from food).

On keeping your viv wet, my leaf litter and some branches completely dry out with some pockets of approx 50% humidity (and other spots are obviously higher - for example in between plants). Point is you don't want to keep humidity at 80-90% consistently - darts will get foot rot or respiratory issues over longer periods of time. Easy way to judge if your darts are happy is (i) are they out and about and (ii) are there any spots they are spending most of their time in - and are these spots drier / wetter than the rest of the viv.

Based on that you can adjust over time - but if you see your darts foraging in all parts of the viv at almost all times of the day then your humidity should be ok (unless everything is consistently wet / dry). They generally know what's best for them - I've seen terribs with foot issues (not mine) spend most of their time on a dry piece of rock / wood once it was provided to them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts