Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m building a new vivarium and I’m wondering what fans you all are having good success with.
I’m planning on adding a small internal fan pointing towards the front glass as well as a 3”ish fan on top pulling fresh air in that will run after misting sessions to dry off the plants a bit. Suggestions (links if allowed) very appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
The better vans have ball bearings, and not the version with nylon bushings. The ball bearing vans are the best. I am using the 2.36 inch version.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The better vans have ball bearings, and not the version with nylon bushings. The ball bearing vans are the best. I am using the 2.36 inch version.
Is rust a problem over time?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the vans will run regularly, and if you move warm air they will get humid anyway. Fortunately, we do not use salt water ;)
Do you have a favorite brand/model?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just received a couple of these. They are waterproof apparently. They need a protective screen though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just received a couple of these. They are waterproof apparently. They need a protective screen though.

Have you powered them by up yet? If so I’m curious how loud they are in your opinion.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't use the cheap fans, they will become very noisy over time. I eventually settled on 2 Noctura, 40mm PWM fans as part of my "lid" in my 37 gallon vivarium. They are very quiet, can be speed controlled, and move a lot of air.

They blow air into an air-tight channel that opens through a slit along the full width of the vivarium, right near the glass. There is a narrow slit near the back of the vivarium lid, for the air to exit. They turn on every 20 minutes for 4 minutes during the day. It's enough to keep the glass clear of condensation and provide a good amount of circulation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, just one at the moment. It was quite loud the first day, now it's forgotten. I use a small adjustable resistor so it might be running on 70%

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like my Coolerguys 80mm ip67 fan, which seems similar to the brand listed above, but is more waterproof. Coolerguys is a brand with a good reputation in the PC building world, but any fan meant for PCs or other applications will have to be made frog-safe.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like my Coolerguys 80mm ip67 fan, which seems similar to the brand listed above, but is more waterproof. Coolerguys is a brand with a good reputation in the PC building world, but any fan meant for PCs or other applications will have to be made frog-safe.
Thanks, and yes, it’ll be made to be frog safe with appropriate screen for sure. I researched the subject considerably years ago, I’m just wondering what experienced froggers are using that is ‘currently’ available.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have this one on my 180. Doesn't move too much air but would prob be too much for a smaller tank. Pretty quite too! It's on a WiFi plug that automates it from meh phone.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I guess I should have mentioned that these fans will be used in a 18 x18 x24 Zoomed viv.
1) internal, maybe 40mm?
2) setting on top of a 3” screened vent along the top, so something 3” or less I suppose.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use Noctua 40mm PWM fans because they are really quiet and small enough to hide easily. I also had an old Scythe Kaze Q 3.5 fan controller laying around which I use to adjust the speed. For some reason the controller is near impossible to find now, which is a shame. I'd like to buy a couple more...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts