Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
One generation grom wild f2 means two generations of captive breeding then f3 and so on

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Here is how I recently explained it to someone from all of the reading I've done on here (correct me if there are any mistakes)...

"Technically (in the science world) F1's are produced from any two unrelated parents.

However, in the dart frog hobby, F1 is generally used to designate that the parents were wild-caught. F2 would be the froglets of F1s, F3 would be the froglets of F2s, and so on.

If you were to simply mix unrelated bloodlines and wanted to call the offspring F1s, you should probably list them as (Breeder)x(Breeder) F1s. This helps distinguish them as being a new genetic mix of captive breds rather than from wild-caught."

·
Banned
579 Posts
Wendyshall: youre not saying that the f1s parents are supposed to technically be unrelated wild caughts right??? Hahah! Imagine trying to figure that one out...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Wendy, that is my understanding as well. Although it can get tricky. I have two unrelated frogs who are offspring of two unrelated frogs. That's anF1 frog from two F1 frogs of different bloodlines (and thus requires remembering four different lines)....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man this got really convoluted really fast!!! But generally I get the idea. F1 equals the "First 1's born in captivity"....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Wendyshall: youre not saying that the f1s parents are supposed to technically be unrelated wild caughts right??? Hahah! Imagine trying to figure that one out...
With as much frog "stuff" that we all have amassed, I think it's safe to assume that your DNA testing equipment is on the third shelf behind the vitamins... ;)
Wendy, that is my understanding as well. Although it can get tricky. I have two unrelated frogs who are offspring of two unrelated frogs. That's anF1 frog from two F1 frogs of different bloodlines (and thus requires remembering four different lines)....
So, would they then be listed as...
(Breeder/Breeder)x(Breeder/Breeder) F1's ???
Also from my understanding a F0xF1 will create offspring that are technically F2 just for reference
Too bad there's no "F1.5". :D
But thanks for that one, I didn't know that.
Man this got really convoluted really fast!!! But generally I get the idea. F1 equals the "First 1's born in captivity"....
Yep...you got it. That's a good way to remember it.

What does the "F" actually stand for???

·
Registered
116 Posts
With as much frog "stuff" that we all have amassed, I think it's safe to assume that your DNA testing equipment is on the third shelf behind the vitamins... ;)

So, would they then be listed as...
(Breeder/Breeder)x(Breeder/Breeder) F1's ???

Too bad there's no "F1.5". :D
But thanks for that one, I didn't know that.

Yep...you got it. That's a good way to remember it.

What does the "F" actually stand for???
Fillial - as in Fillial Generations.........

Unrelated line x Unrelated line = F1

Therefore WC x WC = F1

In order to get true F2's, you need to get direct descendent F1 x direct descendent F1 to equal true F2........

Every time you mix anything un-related, you revert back to F1's in the strict definition of the term...........

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Fillial - as in Fillial Generations.........

In order to get true F2's, you need to get direct descendent F1 x direct descendent F1 to equal true F2........

Every time you mix anything un-related, you revert back to F1's in the strict definition of the term...........
Fillial...oh, yes, now I remember reading that.

So true F2's are produced from sibling F1's, true F3's are from sibling F2's, etc...correct?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fillial...oh, yes, now I remember reading that.

So true F2's are produced from sibling F1's, true F3's are from sibling F2's, etc...correct?
In the strict definition yes........However, alot of people have used the term(s) to describe basic generations removed from the founding gene pool.......

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Here is how I recently explained it to someone from all of the reading I've done on here (correct me if there are any mistakes)...

"Technically (in the science world) F1's are produced from any two unrelated parents.

However, in the dart frog hobby, F1 is generally used to designate that the parents were wild-caught. F2 would be the froglets of F1s, F3 would be the froglets of F2s, and so on.

If you were to simply mix unrelated bloodlines and wanted to call the offspring F1s, you should probably list them as (Breeder)x(Breeder) F1s. This helps distinguish them as being a new genetic mix of captive breds rather than from wild-caught."
Actually it doesn't have to be unrelated pairs. It can be from two related animals. It designates the number of generations from a designated reproduction. However the hobby has adopted a custom that it means the number of generations from the wild. This is a problematic designation as for some people it results in a devaluing of animals of unknown filial generation or animals animals of more than a few generations from the wild.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts