Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired By GRIMM, Raf and The Deeb Ive decided to set out on my own magical adventure:rolleyes:and build a large display tank torwards the end of the summer. So to beggin with Im going to be doing two different background methods together in the tank the first great stuff and the Toleune/silicone/peat mixture and ethier a drylok or grout like background. So For the Drylok, Grout part a waterfall will be running over some of it constantly so it would always be wet. and the rest of it will be wet from the humidity and misting system which one would you guys do?

Also I have been brainstorming a new drain thing that I havent seen anyone use yet on terrariums (might be wrong). I got the idea from building ponds.

The Pictures below show complex looking but relativly simple setup First for the tank I want it to be filtered and to do that I took some bottom drain technology from ponds.
First under each piece of false bottom / egg grate ect there is one hole drilled in the glass then a bulkhead is then attached and 45 degree PVC pipe which is used to make a slanted decline to the pump. I know that external pumps sit outside the water and they suck water into them. The pump would then therefore suck water from both drainage layers and down to the pump were a small filter can be integrated into the flow to filter out any particals the water is then pushed back into the terrarium and the cycle beggins all over agian

As for my water area I figured to leave the sides of the egg grate facing the water area free of any mess screen and weed block I will then stack rocks to hide the view but leave holes inbetween some of the rocks so that the pump can suck debre in the water area and filter them out and there for you have a filtration cylce and a waterfall. thanks for reading I know its long and may be confusing but thanks and tell me waht you think

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
So your basically going to do a sump below the main display to filter the water and recirculate it back into the tank?

·
Registered
57 Posts
those plans look very similar to my set up. 3 bulkheads with hose leading to a sump tank with an canister filter pumping water from the sump to my waterfall. I aslo installed shut off valves on the hoses to do maintenence with out draining all the water at once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts