Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 17 11.6%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm wondering what everyone is misting their vivs with around these parts? From day 1, I've used nothing but bottled water to mist my guys with. I've noticed I've had to buy quite a bit lately. So, I was wondering if everyone else has been doing the same, or do you use some other type of water? I've set up a poll. If you reply to this thread, please vote as well.

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
701 Posts
Straight from the tap, my friend. Here in the mountains, I have spring water packed full of minerals, and has nothing harmful in it! After i've been misting with it, it does creature a film of mineral stuff where water is 99% of the time, but I feel there's a chance it's better for my plants and frogs.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
If it is just for a quick mist to keep humidity high, I can use straight from the tap. My tap water does not contain chlorine or any chemicals. However, for tadpoles or misting where it will affect the tadpoles (i.e. flushing tad rearing broms in pumilio viv), I use tap water that I "fix up" a bit, meaning I change the pH to around 7, add a bit of blackwater extract, and let it sit for at least a day.
Bryan

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
RO, to prevent mineral buildups on the glass. Bottled water is too vague a term. Some bottled water is purified, some is just bottled tap water.

Reactions: Tadbit

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I switch it up, whatever is most convenient at the time.... usually either RO or bottled from the 5 gallon jugs for the water dispenser, occasionally aged tap.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I use R/O water myself. To be honest, buying R/O water from pet stores can be a hassle and bottled water can get expensive so I don't do it. What I discovered is that there are a lot of water vending machines outside of grocery stores that have better R/O filters than pet stores or anything you can use at home. I've verified that theory with my friend's TDS pen. At about $1.00 for 5 gallons, water vending machines beat the price and quality of pet store and home R/O water and bottled water by far.

·
Registered
995 Posts
it's $1/5 gallons up here too...it comes in those home-water dispenser things [the things people talk at in offices...LOL]

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Albertson's here in El Paso sells Distilled for 2(gallons)/$1 so I buy that and mist with it. I'm only misting 4 vivs, soon to be 12 though. :D

I agree that bottled is too vague a term. You can get spring/ro/distilled/etc.. in a bottle.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i mist with RO/DI because I dont want minerals and crap clogging my mistking nozzles and spotting my glass. its easy since I use Ro/di for my reef so i just make my own water

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I said bottled, I meant things like Deer Park, Dasani, etc. I'll look into that $1/5gal water. My local walmart and convenience store both have a dispenser for bottles like that. Hopefully they're as cheap.

Mark

·
Registered
701 Posts
No i don't think water softeners will harm frogs, but when I kept fish, my water couldn't be any softer (scientifically speaking)

·
Registered
253 Posts
it's $1/5 gallons up here too...it comes in those home-water dispenser things [the things people talk at in offices...LOL]
The water dispensers I go to don't come with bottles. I have to being my own jugs. I should mention that I only use this water for my discus as well and it's been great. Just look outside of pretty much any grocery store in your area and there's likely to be one of these machines. Oh and most of the have info on the outside about how the water is filtered. The one I use even passes the water through a UV sterilizer. It's insane! :)

·
Banned
579 Posts
I use R/O water myself. To be honest, buying R/O water from pet stores can be a hassle and bottled water can get expensive so I don't do it. What I discovered is that there are a lot of water vending machines outside of grocery stores that have better R/O filters than pet stores or anything you can use at home. I've verified that theory with my friend's TDS pen. At about $1.00 for 5 gallons, water vending machines beat the price and quality of pet store and home R/O water and bottled water by far.
I have also been using r/o water from the vending windmills outside my local h.e.b. since day 1 of frog keeping. All my froglets have come out just fine and honestly... You cannit beat 5 gallons for $1.00 .

1 - 20 of 46 Posts