Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys so I was looking at substrates on home depot site and I found some of the soils. I made sure no added fertilizers are in them so it should be safe.
Scott's premium topsoil
Orchid bark
zoo Med eco earth substrate( coco fiber)
Do you think a mixture of this is good for a dart frog enclosure is good or bad I need you guys help. One more thing do you think this soil will hold up good on a great stuff background. Do I need to add or take away anything
Thanks Brian.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have used the topsoil in my veggie garden and would say that it is probably not a good idea for a viv because it contains quite a bit of composted pine bark.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would recommend against using the top soil, I tried it in a mix a long time ago, and was not pleased with the result. Do a search for the ABG mix, it will last longer, won't compress as much.
The Eco earth will hold up well on the background as long as you apply it correctly.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks for the tips guys. On ABG mix how much will I need for a 20 gallon Long for a two inch substrate depth. Josh's frogs only offers 4 and 8 quarts.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Give them a call or shoot them an email and they'll be able to tell you exactly how much you need. They estimated mine and it came out to be pretty much exactly the right amount.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on he above post if i take out the topsoil and added sphangum moss in its place is it a great subtrate for the plants and frogs also if anything needs to be added please let me know thanks brian

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
^^^ It would need other ingredients for better drainage. Coconut fiber should never exceed 50% of the mixture. Ideally it should much less than that. Peat should also generally be avoided since it'll break down much faster than coconut fiber. Potting soil (glad you already decided against this) is an awful trend I've been seeing on the gecko side of things... Even the fertilizer free "Organic potting soil" often contains plenty of things that you wouldn't want in a vivarium.

We use coconut fiber, fine & medium grade orchid bark, short & medium grade sphagnum, fine & medium grade tree fern fiber, and fine & medium grade charcoal in our premade substrate mix.

Vivarium Construction 101

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up I'm looking into the link right now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.