Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i got several types of driftwood and was wondering if they are suitable for vivarium conditions.

1) Some Cypress Knees

2) Cypress Again

3) Light Gray Wood Really Light

4) Darker Colored and Medium Weight Idk What It Is Actually.

All the wood on here is from pesticide free areas and was collected on my property. do you guys think any is suitable for my vivarium. they also do not smell nothing like pine or cedar. thanks Brian

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was told in the past that if you are unsure of what kind of wood it is that you can drill a small hole in it somewhere and smell it afterwards to see if it is pine, cedar or something not viv friendly. This is not my info but have been told it works.

·
Banned
685 Posts
/\ Nope! After years of woodturning and woodworking as a hobby, I can identify alot of wood by smell. Driftwood no matter what species smells like driftwood. years and years of being waterlogged changes the chemical properties of the wood.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So since it doesn't seem to be pine, cedar, etc. Should these woods hold up in a Viv. And would they last long term

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.