Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to vary the diet of my daughters RETF's. She currently has two, a likely female 18 months, and an approx 8 month old, sex unknown.

We currently feed dusted, gut loaded crickets. We've been advised to avoid mealworms as they can cause compaction. We just feel like they aren't getting enough variety to meet their needs.

What else do you use?

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you want variety, pupate some waxworms and phoenix worms. The waxworms pupate into moths and my RETFs go nuts for them. They hunt much much more actively with some moths flying around at night. There are some good guides on this forum, and online in general about how to pupate the worms.
The phoenix worms are black soldier fly larvae, and the flies make an attractive treat as well. I have had success pupating the black soldier flies in tall, narrow-opening containers like old salsa jugs with an inch or so of substrate on the bottom - I prefer lots of large leaf litter that doesn't fall out when you tip the jugs to get the flies out. I feed general organic scrap matter, but be sure to watch for mold. If you leave them at room temperature, you will start seeing flies in a few weeks.
To get both flies and moths out, put them in the refrigerator (or cold basement) for a few minutes until they slow down so they are almost still. Then you have a few minutes to get them out without them flying around to put them in the tank. Just be sure you cover any spaces you may have on your tank so they can't escape - and be sure to look around the viv before opening after you have put them in, they can hid under lids and quickly fly out of the tank when it is opened. Also, I have noticed both moths and flies struggle with standing water in the tank and often fall into it and drown, so be sure you have lot's of sticks/rocks/etc sticking out of the water for them to crawl out on if you have open water in the tank.
I know people who use houseflies as well, and I am trying to find a good vendor for larvae/pupae, they seem to only come in 1000+ larvae batches which are far too many for my frogs.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Aside from the obvious gut-loaded crickets, we use freshly shed mealworms, a few houseflies, and wax moths. We get 'order' cultures of wax worms (mostly pupating) from a local bait shop for 1/3 rd the cost of a fresh culture. You then have a good two weeks worth of fresh tender moths! On summer nights we use the white sheet and light trick for some wild caught moths.
Peter Keane

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can get various quantities of housefly and bluebottle pupae from mantidpets.com. Feeding them is an adventure, however, as flies are escape artists and half a dozen loose flies around the house can get really annoying.

If you want variety, pupate some waxworms and phoenix worms. The waxworms pupate into moths and my RETFs go nuts for them. They hunt much much more actively with some moths flying around at night. There are some good guides on this forum, and online in general about how to pupate the worms.
The phoenix worms are black soldier fly larvae, and the flies make an attractive treat as well. I have had success pupating the black soldier flies in tall, narrow-opening containers like old salsa jugs with an inch or so of substrate on the bottom - I prefer lots of large leaf litter that doesn't fall out when you tip the jugs to get the flies out. I feed general organic scrap matter, but be sure to watch for mold. If you leave them at room temperature, you will start seeing flies in a few weeks.
To get both flies and moths out, put them in the refrigerator (or cold basement) for a few minutes until they slow down so they are almost still. Then you have a few minutes to get them out without them flying around to put them in the tank. Just be sure you cover any spaces you may have on your tank so they can't escape - and be sure to look around the viv before opening after you have put them in, they can hid under lids and quickly fly out of the tank when it is opened. Also, I have noticed both moths and flies struggle with standing water in the tank and often fall into it and drown, so be sure you have lot's of sticks/rocks/etc sticking out of the water for them to crawl out on if you have open water in the tank.
I know people who use houseflies as well, and I am trying to find a good vendor for larvae/pupae, they seem to only come in 1000+ larvae batches which are far too many for my frogs.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Feed them...
Soylent Green...It's made from the best stuff on Earth!!!...People :D

·
Registered
19,348 Posts
Dubai Roaches
Contrary to a lot of the hype, dubia roaches are not an ideal feeder... The problem with dubia and a number of other roach species is that they store urates as a protien source. The highest levels of the urates are found in the males and the growing nymphs. In any case, these urates can impact a number of systems for the frogs..including causing fluid retention, kidney and joint damage... They are acceptable to use as an occasional item, but I strongly suggest not using them as a staple in any herp diet.

Some comments

Ed

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Soylent Green Soylent Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As an alternative, occasional feeder, panchlora nivea, also known as Green banana roaches, make an excellent soft bodied feeder. Because they are tropical, they cannot infest your house and desicate quickly, especially in a dry state like ours, Colo. Easy to breed in a small tank, easy to feed, etc. They can fly though. They are beatiful IMO. panchlora nivea - Google Search

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
...Kids today!

P.S. It is official...I'm old.
Dave, you may be old, but not this weird: Whenever I watched Soylent Green, my late beloved Peepee would, around 10 min before the end, hide under a chair and shiver--because he knew, when the time came, I would look at him and say:

"Soylent Green is made from Peepee--it's peepee!!!" And he would shiver. I couldn't resist (little guy in the middle below.)

2) As for old, around TWENTY years ago I call a chick and say (I'm a bass):

"Who's the black private dick who's a sex machine to all the chicks?!?"

"Um, Tupac?"

It was right then I felt old...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Buncha young whipersnappers! You probably think the "wayback machine" has something to do with the internet!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts