Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in the planning stages of my first vivarium (over a year in the works) and a question that comes to mind is: What do you do with your froglets? It seems that a lot of people are having success with breeding their frogs, so are you guys just over run with froglets?

-Jim

·
Registered
561 Posts
Jim, never count your froggies before they morph!

Seriously, you can give them away, trade or sell them. There is a lot of satisfaction in giving away some of the more commonly available species and starting someone else in this wonderful hobby.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know a person who would take great care of frogs that you would want to get rid of cheap :wink:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wait, I was under the impression that you could gets lots of 10 basti's , CB and sexable for $20 ea cuz $200 was the budget. :lol:
Or was that a wanted thread from our mohawkedy youngin'?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Guys, enough! Personal attacks are uncalled for. If you want to continue do it through PM to each other because I for one don't care to read the above posts.
Thank you
Mike

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I try to sell them, obviously. I'm actually glad my six-point auratus took a break from breeding recently, otherwise I'd have no where to put them!
I currently have 3-ten gallon tanks tied up with my auratus offspring...I can't ship right now, too cold here. Even when sold for a ridiculous cheap price, they didn't sell very well...but then again the only place I sold them is here on Dendroboard.
Once you get some prolific breeding going on, it changes you're whole perspective on how many species you want to keep. This summer I had one entire 18 X 36" shelf devoted to the auratus tads! If I ever get all of my animals breeding at once, space will be at a premium (even more than it already is), and I'll be busier than I want to be. I like to get out of the house (other than work :roll: ) once in a while!

If you're looking for advice, one way or another, all I can say is this:
Think very carefully about which species you want to keep, and avoid "impulse" buys. These frogs live a long time, and can potentially breed very often. If you plan on breeding frogs, plan on devoting an entire shelf to just that species...If they breed well, you'll probably need it!
Just my $0.02!

·
Administrator
8,734 Posts
Can't say I blame you Mike - I thought I was "gentle" enough (at least nothing specific).

And who knows - maybe I was serious.

s
Dunner97074 said:
Guys, enough! Personal attacks are uncalled for. If you want to continue do it through PM to each other because I for one don't care to read the above posts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brian,

Your post confirms what I would expect to happen once the frogs start breeding well. I guess one way to limit production is to keep the tadpoles in the main tank, rather than take them out. I read this is the case with egg feeders, and I imagine it is the same with other frogs. Plus, I think it would be nice to watch the tads develop in the main tank, rather than in a cup.

Since there must be a fair number of people who are not breeders, yet still have froglets to sell, how does this effect the people who are breeders? It would seem that common breeds would be so readily available that it would be hard for a breeder to make any profit on them.

-Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts