Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering in terms of PREFERENCE (not bad practice, which would mean, either bad for inhabitants or plants) what do you dislike seeing in a vivarium?

I've noticed I dislike symmetry in a vivarium. I don't like waterfalls right down the milddle and I don't like plants that make the same sillhouette on both sides.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think I dislike lack of a background in a viv (mine don't have backgrounds which sort of makes me a hypocrite), but I sure love seeing backgrounds in a tank.

Although, there are some very nice vivs with no background. I just feel that they look more natural if there isn't glass on all sides.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't like a lot of empty 'canopy space' - our frogs are from dense rain forests and we are putting them in small enclosures, I think giving them as much surface area and plant life as possible is important, bot for visually and for our frogs

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I dislike backgrounds that have way too much going on. I also dislike really small plants in a viv...kind of makes it hard to appreciate the "tininess" of the darts. Finally I dislike tanks that have a bunch of different colored plants (its a viv not a bag of skittles)...I really like "boring" green plants and a brown or gray background...really lets the frogs be the center of attention.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really like "boring" green plants and a brown or gray background...really lets the frogs be the center of attention.
I've been thinking about this with the "purple viv" idea - that I'd need a bright yellow animal or something completely UNPURPLE in the viv, because otherwise i'd never enjoy the animal.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I dislike seeing a patchwork of dead pillow moss from a pet store instead of leaf litter.
I dislike vivariums populated with plants that were bought from box stores that the person doesnt realize wont stay small like palms and Dracaena.
I dislike 10 gallon tanks where people try to cram in a waterfall, stream, and pond, then ask how many tincs will fit in it.
I dislike "pretty" artificially colored, polished, or quartz gravel lined water features when the rest of the tank looks naturalistic.
I dislike tanks with water features that are less than 2 gallons with fish added because its a "pond" in the person's vision, not a puddle.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dislike seeing a patchwork of dead pillow moss from a pet store instead of leaf litter.
I dislike vivariums populated with plants that were bought from box stores that the person doesnt realize wont stay small like palms and Dracaena.
I dislike 10 gallon tanks where people try to cram in a waterfall, stream, and pond, then ask how many tincs will fit in it.
I dislike "pretty" artificially colored, polished, or quartz gravel lined water features when the rest of the tank looks naturalistic.
I dislike tanks with water features that are less than 2 gallons with fish added because its a "pond" in the person's vision, not a puddle.

well, now I'd argue that most of those are BEST PRATICES for the health and safety of the inhabitants which should be all of our preference, you know?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I've been thinking about this with the "purple viv" idea - that I'd need a bright yellow animal or something completely UNPURPLE in the viv, because otherwise i'd never enjoy the animal.
Contrast could be good...or you could do the opposite. Find the most drably colored inhabitant and it would stand out more in relation to the bright purples of the tank.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I dislike backgrounds that have way too much going on. I also dislike really small plants in a viv...kind of makes it hard to appreciate the "tininess" of the darts. Finally I dislike tanks that have a bunch of different colored plants (its a viv not a bag of skittles)...I really like "boring" green plants and a brown or gray background...really lets the frogs be the center of attention.
I don't like a lot of empty 'canopy space' - our frogs are from dense rain forests and we are putting them in small enclosures, I think giving them as much surface area and plant life as possible is important, bot for visually and for our frogs
I think I dislike lack of a background in a viv (mine don't have backgrounds which sort of makes me a hypocrite), but I sure love seeing backgrounds in a tank.

Although, there are some very nice vivs with no background. I just feel that they look more natural if there isn't glass on all sides.
Agreed with all said! I hate people that buy plants that get to big and plant them in mud and let the mud track up the vivs a lot!
I also hate tanks with too much pink
I hate vivs with really high lighting (unless it's very densely planted, right now i'm not to crazy about my viv and how much light it has)
I hate vivs that have no texture, ie a very plain background (just silicone and peat on the glass)
I hate vivs with messy and/or saturated substrates (pure peat moss and coco fibre)
I hate vivs with barely any plants
I hate vivs with unatural waterfalls (like a strong waterfall splashing everywhere)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Contrast could be good...or you could do the opposite. Find the most drably colored inhabitant and it would stand out more in relation to the bright purples of the tank.
Yes! Or something that normally can camo itself on brown or green...but not purple.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes! Or something that normally can camo itself on brown or green...but not purple.
The best dart for that IMO is either D. auratus 'Camouflage', D. auratus 'Black' or my favorite, D. auratus 'Campana'.

By the way, Mitch, why do you hate grapewood? I think it looks really cool in a viv and my springs love to eat the mold on it!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Good thread idea! I dislike bare spots on GS backgrounds, Home Depot/Lowes plants, grape wood, "that moss you got from your backyard," water falls in tiny tanks, irresponsible mixing, coco fiber as the only substrate, and most importantly KITTY LITTER BACKGROUNDS!!!

...Just to name a few

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well, large bare spots on GS/coco fiber backgrounds suck, but sometimes you have to leave it blank because it'll look like there's too much going on, or a plant will invade the area and cover it anyway, rendering your work useless.

I dislike people using home depot/lowes plants

I dislike when people do not take the time to put black silicone on the glass BEFORE they apply the background

I dislike when people do not hide their false bottoms by making a box out of the false bottom and filling in the gap with stones

I dislike pothos

I dislike tanks filled with grapewood

I dislike tanks with chunks of pillow moss everywhere rather than leaf litter

I dislike tanks where people attach broms to the glass with suction cups

I dislike tanks where there are WAY too many plants. I mean, I get that we're supposed to be "recreating the jungle," but at a certain point, looking at that jumbled mess becomes an eye sore. There's a fine line between good planting and too much planting, and I see it overdone time and time again. Raf's build is a perfect example of good planting because you still get to appreciate the background.

I dislike tanks that are set up for the wrong species. I mean I'm no expert by any stretch, but I know a few things about setups as far as what is beneficial versus useless for a particular species

I dislike tanks that have nothing going on at the bottom of the tank - it's just perfectly flat, no logs falling over or wood sticking out or dynamic shaping of the soil into hills, crests and troughs

I dislike people placing tillandsia in places that give you the impression they'll survive there, when in reality, you know they'll rot in a week

I dislike people covering the back and both sides of the tank COMPLETELY. I get the whole "security" feeling for the frogs, but it makes observation seem...limited.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I dislike tanks where there are WAY too many plants. I mean, I get that we're supposed to be "recreating the jungle," but at a certain point, looking at that jumbled mess becomes an eye sore. There's a fine line between good planting and too much planting, and I see it overdone time and time again. Raf's build is a perfect example of good planting because you still get to appreciate the background.
I am going to have to agree with that 100%. I am not a fan of the “claustrophobic” look in a tank. I would much rather see one with just a few species of plants used in repetition, which makes it look a touch more natural.

On the topic of waterfalls it really digs at my OCD to see tanks that are set up with a waterfall that is poorly executed, clearly not made to be serviceable and therefore will be a mess within a year.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Anything uninspiring, unoriginal, or something that only attains the minimum requirements of keeping darts.
GRIMM, You should know that imitation is simply a form of flattery
Look at everyone who has learned from your threads

However, I do get what you are meaning, a general lack of creativity.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I dislike people covering the back and both sides of the tank COMPLETELY. I get the whole "security" feeling for the frogs, but it makes observation seem...limited.
I'm totally the opposite...I dislike when people leave the sides open and when you look in the front you see all their crap sitting on the shelf next to the tank. Nothing is worse than looking at a pic of a well designed tank and seeing a mountain dew bottle through the side...just ruins the illusion of viewing a piece of the rainforest. I think covering 3 sides "frames" the view, greatly increases usable space, and just looks better overall. There are some exceptions to this...some tanks look great with 3 sides open.
Thats just me though...different strokes and all.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts