Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our awesome board member hooked me up with a starter colony of springtails awhile back. Unfortunately 99% of them died on the trip home (maybe too hot in the car?) so I never got a good look at them alive.
I just got back from a business trip and checked on my colony and found it finally has some life again, but I'm not sure if it's mites or springtails! I think they're white and range in size from almost (maybe actually?) too small to see to a few who are about the length of the nib on a ball point pen. How do I know if they're mites or springtails?
I tried to get a pic but my camera's not good enough - I'm guessing other folks have the same issue cause google didn't produce an answer.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Are the elongated or round? If they're elongated - springs, round - mites. This isn't cut throat though, but could give you a solid answer.

·
Registered
626 Posts
What kind of mites are you asking about: Spider Mites, Cyclamen Mites, Double spotted mites? They all look different. But they are ALL very small.
I do have some photos I can post from my greenhouse page.

Steve

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ones that are big enough to really see are definitely elongated. The smaller ones are too small to tell but look similar to what Sally posted, there's just not nearly so many of them.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The ones that are big enough to really see are definitely elongated. The smaller ones are too small to tell but look similar to what Sally posted, there's just not nearly so many of them.

then they should be infant springs IMO.

·
Registered
151 Posts
the picture is not magnified enough and focused enough to tell. The mites have appendages on the bumper crop that I maintain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts