Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have set up my enclosure and it has been sitting for 4 weeks or so.
Flower Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Rectangle
The enclosure measures 45x45x45 cm and the soil has been seeded with springtails and tropical grey isopods. I haven't added any leaf litter yet but I plan to do that before I get any frogs. All of the plants are real. I was advised to use the arcadia 7% uvb kit as the light. I was going to get some dendrobates tinctorius "azureus". Any advice on how to improve the setup for my future frogs will be greatly appreciated! I really want to get this right. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,567 Posts
Firstly, welcome aboard. :)

I like the wood work, the frogs will enjoy climbing around on it.

Advice from me: ditch the water dish. It is only going to use up space. The frogs have no need for it and it will quickly become a "dead fruit fly lagoon" . Replace it with a thick pile of leaf litter (leaf litter should cover all the substrate so that there's none showing, in my opinion).

Providing UVB to dart frogs is unnecessary and potentially harmful. Very few of us use UVB in our frog tanks. I would replace it with a LED light strip (can be done cheaply, I use Nicrew lights, they're about $25-40 on Amazon).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Before you get your frogs, start culturing fruit flies (you can culture either hydei (larger) or melanogaster, both are fine) so you get used to the process. I'd also suggest getting some proper supplemnts ready to go. Repashy Calcium Plus is a good all in one starter for you.

·
Registered
Frogs
1,716 Posts
Welcome aboard.

You already got some great advice here.
I would also recommend to remove the spagnummoss that is in the tank and explain how you setup the substrate in order to prevent possible future issues.
Also make sure your Exo terra is fruitfly proof or the room you will put it in will be covered in insects..😅

Another thing I'd like to add is that 45x45x45cm is imo too small to house a adult pair of Tinctorius.. So not sure what other species caught your attention, but I highly recommend not to go for Azureus (or any other Tinctorius for that mather) in this size of enclosure.

·
Administrator
5,467 Posts
Good advice above. I'll echo the lighting change recommendation. UVB needs to be measured with a meter to be used safely, and doesn't need to be used at all to keep healthy dart frogs.

I'd add that removing the hygrometer would be a good idea. Not only will the probe fail soon anyway, but measuring RH 24/7 is misleading, IME.

I think I see a thermometer probe in there, too -- not as problematic, but an IR temp gun is much more useful, if you own one or have the opportunity to pick up a cheap one (any model works fine). Normal (well, normal in the US -- 65F-75F, with excursions of five more degrees on either end) room temps are fine for dart frogs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firstly, welcome aboard. :)

I like the wood work, the frogs will enjoy climbing around on it.

Advice from me: ditch the water dish. It is only going to use up space. The frogs have no need for it and it will quickly become a "dead fruit fly lagoon" . Replace it with a thick pile of leaf litter (leaf litter should cover all the substrate so that there's none showing, in my opinion).

Providing UVB to dart frogs is unnecessary and potentially harmful. Very few of us use UVB in our frog tanks. I would replace it with a LED light strip (can be done cheaply, I use Nicrew lights, they're about $25-40 on Amazon).
Thank you for the advice! :) I will do that with the water dish. Will the plants still grow ok with the LED? Im not very knowledgeable with the different kinds of lights and such. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome aboard.

You already got some great advice here.
I would also recommend to remove the spagnummoss that is in the tank and explain how you setup the substrate in order to prevent possible future issues.
Also make sure your Exo terra is fruitfly proof or the room you will put it in will be covered in insects..😅

Another thing I'd like to add is that 45x45x45cm is imo too small to house a adult pair of Tinctorius.. So not sure what other species caught your attention, but I highly recommend not to go for Azureus (or any other Tinctorius for that mather) in this size of enclosure.
Thank you for the advice! For the substrate and drainage it is a 5cm or so layer of clay balls with a mesh layer on top. I then used this substrate, mixed with a bit of coco fiber to bulk it out a bit more. Do you think that leucomelas would work in this size of enclosure? I don't want the frogs to be stressed. Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
Frogs
1,716 Posts
Thank you for the advice! For the substrate and drainage it is a 5cm or so layer of clay balls with a mesh layer on top. I then used this substrate, mixed with a bit of coco fiber to bulk it out a bit more. Do you think that leucomelas would work in this size of enclosure? I don't want the frogs to be stressed. Thanks again! :)
The leca and mesh are ok but you want to remove the cocofiber since this sticks to everything (frog, flies, plants,..) especialy when it gets wet and frog can't digest it. The substrate itself I have no knowledge on but you defenitly want to civer everything up with a nice layer of leafflitter as you already mentioned.

For any frog larger than the thumbnail species it is too small for long term housing imo, so I'd say this would also be too small for a pair of leucomelas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone! I have set up my enclosure and it has been sitting for 4 weeks or so. View attachment 300465 The enclosure measures 45x45x45 cm and the soil has been seeded with springtails and tropical grey isopods. I haven't added any leaf litter yet but I plan to do that before I get any frogs. All of the plants are real. I was advised to use the arcadia 7% uvb kit as the light. I was going to get some dendrobates tinctorius "azureus". Any advice on how to improve the setup for my future frogs will be greatly appreciated! I really want to get this right. :)
I was also wondering how often to dust the fruit flies with what supplements? I know they need calcium but I have heard they also need vitamin A powder? Is this needed? If so then how often do I dust the fruit flies with this? Thanks!

·
Registered
Frogs
1,716 Posts
I was also wondering how often to dust the fruit flies with what supplements? I know they need calcium but I have heard they also need vitamin A powder? Is this needed? If so then how often do I dust the fruit flies with this? Thanks!
Do some research on Repashy Cal + and Vit A +, these are the only 2 products you'll ever need Dosis and or frequentie should always be described on any supplements. For repashy : Cal + always needs to be added when giving flies. VitA + will depend on how your well the frogs breed, varying from 1-2 times a month at that stage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts