Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used windex to clean my tank before I set it up! I didnt rinse with bleach after because I didnt know better until I read thru pages of the beginner forums and saw a post about it. I've already set up the tank (I have no frogs yet) and planted it and everything, what do I do? Thanks in advance!
~Sara
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
If you rinse the tank down thoroughly, and remove all the water several times (in essence, several 100% water changes from the false bottom), I think you should be fine. It might be a good idea to leave the lid off for a day to let any fumes gass off???

Just drench the glass and anything else that came in contact with windex, and then heavily mist everything else... and remove the water from the false bottom.

I wouldn't be that worried if I were you.

Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,921 Posts
You're fine. The ammonia should have evaporated by now. If you want to be really safe, mist down the glass with distilled or RO water. Any remaining residue will wash into the soil where the plants will use it as fertilizer. As long as you can't smell any ammonia, you are fine. The dangers of windex used on tanks that don't contain animals is way overblown. Spraying ammonia-based cleaners around areas where there are frogs is another story.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top