Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm freaking out. One of my arautus that I have only had five day seems bloated and unable to move. Can someone help me and what is wrong. How can I fix him. I'm paranoid right now and upset. :(

Frog right now:

They day he arrived:

I hope he is OK ugh I'm about to cry now.....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not an expert on frog ailments but I've seen a lot of threads regarding bloat. I recommend searching this section for 'bloat'.
That's what I'm doing but nothing is really compares to his symptoms.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
His mouth is open a tiny bit also. I'm dosing my flies one day with rep-cal herptivie with beta carotene skip a day then dose them with rep-cal calcium with vit d3. If that help.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Really sorry to hear it. My first thought was impaction but I don't think it could happen that fast. I'm in the dark.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
So he is not moving at all? sorry to hear about that, hope he gets better.....:(

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really sorry to hear it. My first thought was impaction but I don't think it could happen that fast. I'm in the dark.
Y
Yesterday at this same time he wasn't bloated and eating. How could it happen so faclst he was really active also.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I don't know the why, the how, or the treatment, but I'll bet it's some sort of freaky water retention problem.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So he is not moving at all? sorry to hear about that, hope he gets better.....:(
He appears dead with his little mouth open a tiny bit. But I happen to nudged him he barely moved and closed his mouth.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know the why, the how, or the treatment, but I'll bet it's some sort of freaky water retention problem.
Its all happened in a blink of an eye from healthy active eating to BAMN unable to move, bloated, and mouth opened.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Could the frog have edema? I am no expert in frog illness though

I know edemas are caused either by bacteria or kidney failure

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

His entire body seems to have bloated evenly across his body and no movement but still alive. It happen all in less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Top post, page 2.
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...3-help-needed-treatment-yellow-galac-pdf.html

Page 2, Ed's post. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/59525-rectal-prolapse.html

Beyond that, try searching water retention. I don't know this to be the problem, but I don't see what else could do this, that quickly. Sorry Man, I hope it turns out ok.
What's the sugar water method being mentioned and how much sugar do I use to an amount of water.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
What's the sugar water method being mentioned and how much sugar do I use to an amount of water.
I think that was for prolapse. I don't know, I was just trying to research the symptoms for you.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that was for prolapse. I don't know, I was just trying to research the symptoms for you.
Oh OK I'm still looking but nothing seems to fit the descrbtion and what could cause this problem so fast. If impacted could it happen that fast if he over ate.

·
Registered
19,354 Posts
Some of the information you want is in this thread...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/16433-emergency-supportive-care.html

I am not a vet and this is not meant to be a diagnosis but there are several probable causes and this is one of those situations where veterinary assistence is probably make the difference between the frog surviving or not. Rapid onset of bloating like that can (not the can) be a sign of a massive infection of the frog. These infections can be contagious so you need to isolate the frog from the others in it's cage. Since it is bloated, you should consider the suggestions in the emergency supportive care thread and contact a vet as soon as possible.
If the frog does have a septicemia, then how fast you respond can be the difference between whether it lives or dies.

Ed

·
Registered
19,354 Posts

Yes that is for prolapses that are not caused by fluid retention.

Ed

·
Registered
19,354 Posts

Edema (ascites) can also be caused by other infections including viral infections as well as liver failure (an exotic animal pathologist told me that he saw way more liver failure than he did kidney problems in amphibians afflicted with fluid retention) as well as other causes.... There are multiple possibilities although they two listed above are the most common bantered around on the net and those that are diagnosed on the net virtually none have a necropsy confirm the cause.

Ed

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Edema (ascites) can also be caused by other infections including viral infections as well as liver failure (an exotic animal pathologist told me that he saw way more liver failure than he did kidney problems in amphibians afflicted with fluid retention) as well as other causes.... There are multiple possibilities although they two listed above are the most common bantered around on the net and those that are diagnosed on the net virtually none have a necropsy confirm the cause.

Ed
I'm gonna call the two local vets in the morning but I'm highly doubting they have ever seen a frog come through there doors. Is there any at home methods I can try/ do to help this frog as it seems like he may be dead by morning (I know you a suppose to stay positive ).

1 - 20 of 70 Posts