Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does one have to place real rock into the foam for a waterfall (apparently called a water feature vs waterfall) or can it flow over sealed foam? I worry that water would eventually erode into foam no matter how sealed, but I don't have experience with many water "features".

Some may find this a newbie and annoying question so I will say up front that I did try several searches on this. i did read many waterfall posts but did not find my question. perhaps poor searching?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Does one have to place real rock into the foam for a waterfall (apparently called a water feature vs waterfall) or can it flow over sealed foam? I worry that water would eventually erode into foam no matter how sealed, but I don't have experience with many water "features".

Some may find this a newbie and annoying question so I will say up front that I did try several searches on this. i did read many waterfall posts but did not find my question. perhaps poor searching?

Thank you
using the slicone/coco-fiber the foam is pretty good and sealed if done right.
Using epoxy to seal the grout used on the foam for a water feature will work if done right.
Some use hollow driftwood.
JUst search around more.

here is a viv I did for my first viv and I can tell you as lots of people will tell you as well....water on a water feature viv until you have more experience, i wish I would have.
Anyway here is my first build for my anoles and it had a water feature...and a vid.
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/63773-10-vert-n00b-tank.html

You asked so I answer honestly....yup poor searching...
You have been on here for barely 2 months...you need more time to marinate :p
here is a search for "water feature" and I doubt you went through all 40 pages :p
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1965571&pp=25
Btw I would suggest not posting a bunch of threads and just ask all your questions in one thread....it tends to annoy most on here.
Just trying to help ya a bit :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
".....will tell you as well....water on a water feature viv until you have more experience"

Is that Pass on a water feature until more experience maybe??

?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, DragonSpirit meant it is usually a better idea to NOT have a water feature if you are constructing your first viv.

Dart frogs do not need flowing water, and a pool of water even just an inch deep can be dangerous for darts if they can't get out. Water features in dart vivs are to look pretty for your benefit, they don't really benefit the frogs.

Adding pumps and water that must be changed often generally just adds more headaches in the form of more things to go wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts