Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Including things like local classifieds, online classifieds, local shows, very specialized sites, and everything else.

My primary source for plants has been GlassBoxTropicals, NEHERP, and Josh's Frogs for a long time. I'm only now branching out into more specialized sites like Bromeliad.com and J&L Orchids, and classifieds and local places.

What are your preferences as far as places to buy plants? I'm interested in upping my plant game.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am jumping into my first build, What has your experience been from all of those supplies for plants? Who's seemed best?
Of the major sites I listed, GlassBoxTropicals is the one I use most. I ask questions via email and usually get a slightly delayed response, 1-2 days. I haven't tried communicating with the other organizations much.

NEHERP I know takes a little while to actually ship, perhaps because it's backed up with orders. They offer some stuff that GlassBoxTropicals doesn't., especially things like lighting.

I can't remark much on JoshsFrogs. I've used it a little, and then I never really explored it.

Of online classifieds, I've only used hydrophyte on this site. His organization was timely and the products came in healthy.

·
Administrator
5,109 Posts
What are your preferences as far as places to buy plants? .
Whoever has what I want.

No, really. I'm at the point where basically the only plants I buy are ones I've never heard of until someone mentions them here. Very recently, Medinilla sedifolia was mentioned, and the only realistic source I found was Black Jungle, so I ordered from them. (Note: this in spite of the fact that they list a customer service email address as the 'respond to' address on order confirmations that is in fact not in service. Frustrating, and Mike has not corrected this, so this is not my first choice of vendor.)

If I were to stock a new viv from scratch I'd go to Glass Box Tropicals. I've had only good experiences there.

Reactions: Kinstrome

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DPfarr: Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at their plants and I am impressed.

SM: Could you explain a little about that? When you say that the only plants you buy are ones you've never heard of, do you mean you have pretty much every plant you want in your possession somewhere?

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
when possible, try to buy in person. Frog meets ect. I have gotten hundreds, probably close to thousand $$ in plants for trade or free.

If you live fairly close to this event...do not miss. It will have more rare plants that can probably be described here.

American Frog Day : Home

·
Administrator
5,109 Posts
SM: Could you explain a little about that? When you say that the only plants you buy are ones you've never heard of, do you mean you have pretty much every plant you want in your possession somewhere?
Yes, pretty much. If I set up a new viv, I typically just thin out others to get plants; my vivs are mainly in the service of keeping the animal inhabitants happy. If I learn about some plant that seems interesting for its own sake, though, I'll try to get one.

Reactions: Kinstrome

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when possible, try to buy in person. Frog meets ect. I have gotten hundreds, probably close to thousand $$ in plants for trade or free.

If you live fairly close to this event...do not miss. It will have more rare plants that can probably be described here.

American Frog Day : Home
I don't live close enough to NY state that it would be reasonable to drive there and back, unless I had other things in mind than just plants.

If it is possible to mass-pack the plants I would theoretically buy in a suitcase, I would have way less trouble to fly, and I'd be willing to do that if a round trip were reasonably priced.

Does anyone have any experience flying a bunch of plants in luggage, within the same country? I'd like to know if there are any issues before a TSA guy says "Whoops, throw away all that green s---."

EDIT: Whoops, just saw that this occurs in Atlanta, GA, too. If it's as big as NY's event, I'll head that way.

·
Registered
698 Posts
As a horticultural professional flying with plants is a must. I usually pack plants in a cardboard box. Remember that loose plants incur more damage. The more they can flop around the worse they’ll unpack.

As far as TSA saying something. No. I’ve flown with carryon box of plants and huge 60x18x12 boxes.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
+1 on "no problems flying domestic, with plants" - I quite often fly stuff home, I just pack them carefully into my checked baggage (never tried carry-on, myself)

the whole "no jostling" thing is great advice - I like moistened crumpled newspaper as a packing medium

smaller plants, or plant parts, can slide nicely into toilet paper or paper towel tubes, and you can use moistened newspaper or paper towels to plug the ends and eliminate some of the interior voids, to reduce slamming around in there

often I will take a plastic shoebox, food storage tub, or some other rigid, clear, fairly waterproof "box" to put my plants & damp packing mtrls into - once the plants are loaded, just fill the box all the way with extra packing mtrls so there's no jostling & banging around inside the box

good luck!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just gonna lay them on increasing layers of shop towel sheets. Shop towels are sturdy and don't disintegrate as easily from water.

That is, of course, if I actually fly to buy plants. If it's possible to catch a ride with somebody and split gas money, that might be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hmm - interesting. I've never worried about - nor suffered - packing-materials disintegration. The trip is over way before such a thing could happen. I've never flown back plants from an ephemeral trade show - I've either collected them from "the wild" (more typically, from the city, e.g. growing as epiphytes on street trees or garden walls), or bought them from brick-and-mortar establishments. In either such case, you can wait until almost the end of your trip to acquire the plant and get it processed & packed up for transport. Honestly, I worry more about the durability of the plant, than of the packing material. Having something packed up in dark moist conditions for a number of days...well, it doesn't sound good to me.

I do think the weight consideration is one worth making, mass being an important variable in the force equation. Under normal conditions of takeoff, landing, turbulence, and ground transport - I do think the plants are more likely to get hammered with heavy packing materials, than with light ones.

Happy plant-shopping, and good luck getting them home, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I threw out disintegration as a hypothetical problem. I don't know that it would actually occur, even with paper towels, but I am just supposing that with turbulence and landing, they could tear a little if they're already soaked.

I don't think shop towels weigh much more if any more than store-bought paper towels (it's hard to tell when they're both so light), so I don't think they'd do any more damage, if any damage at all. Actually, for most of the plants I've bought, you could pack them with smooth river pebbles and they still wouldn't suffer any damage. (Not that I'm going to test that.)

·
Administrator
5,109 Posts
The closest NARBC is in Arlington, TX, a bit of a hike from you:

https://www.narbc.com/

Repticon comes to LA. I've only heard feedback about this one from vendors; apparently the organization of the shows leaves something to be desired.

https://repticon.com/louisiana/

Don't rule out regional shows. The one I vend at (SEWERFest Reptile Show - Sturtevant(Racine), Wisconsin) is a great show, though I wouldn't send someone there to load up on frog-related stuff. The upper midwest is gecko and ball python territory.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts