Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Guava the Lemur Tree Frog
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo! New to the boards and the hobby, and I couldn't help but notice there's plenty of sources on all of the things you could be doing wrong, but next to none for signs of a happy, healthy frog! Any links would be appreciated, but for reference I have a Lemur Tree Frog :) (I started out wanting darts, but decided I'd start out with a smaller project and get a hang of the routine)

With that said, I dont believe (or I hope!) my frog has any immediate health problems! I simply want to know if there were recommendations for more shy frogs who may not eat as much in those first critical weeks of ownership. I have a bioactive substrate and have seen evidence of my frog bullying my isopods, but it doesn't seem as interested in the dusted pinhead crickets I provide!

I followed the exact feeding instructions for nocturnal frogs as per Josh's Frogs, and the little guy is plenty active at night, but I think I've only had full luck with 2 night out of these first 2 weeks I've owned them. I was told this is sometimes normal, but is there anything I can do to supplement calcium/vitamins until they're eating crickets more regularly? I thought about adding liquid calcium to the water dish just in case, but I don't see a lot of mentions of it on any frog forums...

Thanks for reading!

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts
I suspect pinheads may be too small for your frog. Have you tried crickets that are a bit larger?

If you post pics of the frog, and the enclosure, and give details about humidity, misting, ventilation, lighting, temp, etc. folks will be able to help you troubleshoot the eating issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually have tried some smalls, but mixed in some pinheads when they were untouched. The times I've had success have both been days I've fed pinhead, so I switched completely in this last batch I bought. I have switched between calcium with d3 and reptivite for good measure, which were both used by Josh's to feed theirs, but I guess it does little good if the dusted crickets are never eaten 😅

Humidity hi/lo is 73-80%
Temp hi/lo is 70-75 (we just had a cold front hit this week, so prior to it was more like 72-75)
Mesh cover on top for fair ventilation, two day lights and a night light. My day/night cycle switches at about 7:30 am/pm. I see activity about an hour and a half into the 'night'.

My set up is a zoo med paludarium, approximately 10 gallon vertical on top of a 5 gallon tank, though the bottom is only half open water populated by bamboo and gold ribbon.

Water dish and cork wood hide are located behind the bottom log, but I just misted so it's difficult to get a good picture from the side right now, haha.

I'll also note that from some tips on other posts about shy eaters I started to cover the tank at night. The cup I offer the crickets in is propped up on the top log/moss shelf I have there because 1) it's convenient! And 2) his favorite sleeping spot so far is under the top leaf of my biggest brom, so I thought proximity would encourage eating.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Pinhead crickets are usually only offered to very small species or newly morphed froglets.

There is evidence of prey size and shape , (even motion and direction of movement) either triggering or bipassing perceptual cues.

Aross the top of the crown from eye to eye is a good place to start, with most vigorous treefrogs capable of larger capacity.

The great about treefrogs is that they will readily site feed. This can become a helpful aid in controlling or in your case determining food intake.

I like crocks for this. They should be opaque and deep with an easily sighted interior from the most commonly perched on stations.

A piece of protien/fats food source will occupy the attention and reduce wayward popup escape attempts of the crickets.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
The feeder container should be spacious and tactically visible for the best results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pinhead crickets are usually only offered to very small species or newly morphed froglets.

There is evidence of prey size and shape , (even motion and direction of movement) either triggering or bipassing perceptual cues.

Aross the top of the crown from eye to eye is a good place to start, with most vigorous treefrogs capable of larger capacity.
Ah, it seems I misspoke! Or rather, my local pet store I get my crickets from have their sizes a tad botched and I forgot to correct my terminology. My frog is about 1", and my "pinhead" crickets are really around the 3/16ths in this image, while the smalls range around the 1/4" size.

My mistake!

Should I go back up to 1/4" again? I do have a cricket cup with few escapee issues, but adding a small bit of food to keep them in the middle sounds like a good idea for better visibility!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The feeder container should be spacious and tactically visible for the best results.
Quick pic of where I typically put it. Blue arrow indicates where he usually (and currently!) hangs out during the day

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
He can easily eat the 3/8 size i see in that particular graph.

A trick is to raise the crock, which should be opaque and stable, on another overturned crock. But still have it under perches range and its interior easy to see from the commonest vantage points of the little frog/s.

Its better to have a few than a crowd.

There is no harm in positioning segway branch around, or over the top of the feeding container.

If you size it keen enough you can put a smooth stone in the container as well to enhance its ergonomic for the treefrog

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Deli cups dont work well. Flimsy and visually confusing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He can easily eat the 3/8 size i see in that particular graph.

A trick is to raise the crock, which should be opaque and stable, on another overturned crock. But still have it under perches range and its interior easy to see from the commonest vantage points...
Noted! I'll switch out my critter cup to something better, and I'll try propping it up from underneath! Thank you for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
The most important thing is that your baby LTF eats. Making it simple for him whilst he is in an aclimating state helps achieve this goal.
Because of this i liked to apply some real attention to the feeding station. I have even attached strips of cork or grapevine around the edge so that they like hanging out there.

Little guys esp are spooked by novelty and trepidation to risk inhibits the appetite. Simple, stable, and hitting the 'sweet spot' in location, which should also include ease of reach and unobtrusive management for you, the keeper.

A flower pot can also make a good riser.

The whole point is to get those meals in and acceptance established. I have found in raising RETF neos, which similiar that they catch, eat and grow better when given crix on the larger side of a reasonable scale, then going with more, smaller.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Your frog looks really good to me, and I get such a cool vibe from you.

Such great frogs.

Gonna keep you up at night (.;
Happy Spying

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An update! We've had repeated success! I actually couldn't get my hands on an appropriately sized crock right away, so in the meantime I got one of our opaque white cups we use to send small reptiles/amphibians home. (Did I mention I work in a pet store?) Switching to something solid just immediately made it easier for him to figure things out, I think, so thank you for the tip!!

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Cool. Ha, hes sure to outwiegh it soon, so just make sure its stable. Id keep that one in operation though for now.

Working in a pet shop can be equal parts challenge and reward. Alot depends on staff and the owners adherance to the red line. Freedom to do things right aint cheap.

I really like your frogs name. I think its irresistable to name frogs and other guys too. Though i have loved animals i just called Paper Towel Tube Guy (a little snake) or The Lotsa Yellow Girl or some i didnt really name at all, but they were individuals to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really like your frogs name. I think its irresistable to name frogs and other guys too. Though i have loved animals i just called Paper Towel Tube Guy (a little snake) or The Lotsa Yellow Girl or some i didnt really name at all, but they were individuals to me.
Hah, thanks! I like food names, they're just really suitable for pets. I hope to get a second ltf once I feel comfortable and adapted to the needs of my first one. Their name will be Lychee!

My other backup names I've reserved for future frogs are Kimchi, Soju and Wasabi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts