Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been housing a few new pitcher plants on my backporch, until this coming spring when I will take up to my mother's in NC and add them to my bog there. Back in August/September I picked up a 'Judith Hindle' and a 'Dana's Delight' from a local garden center in 6" pots for 5$ each (a deal I couldn't pass on). When I got them they were in good health but not heavily colored. Well the other day when the sun hit them, they seemed to be glowing. So, I thought I would take some pics and share with you guys. I don't grow many hybrid Sarr., but with how amazing these guys look I may have to change that.

'Judith Hindle'

'Dana's Delight'

enjoy,
Jay

·
Registered
696 Posts
Jay,
I'm not that big on pitcher plants, uh that was until I saw your pics. They're beautiful, I may have to look for some up here. Wow.
Mike

·
Registered
695 Posts
Jay,

Good pics. The specie S. leucophylla is very evident in the Dana's Delight pic that you have. Sarracenias are very hardy too. I live in Washington and grow them outside. They freeze every year and come right back, even the southern specie like S. leucophylla. S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' is my favorite. I have purchased many carnivorous plants from a guy in Oregon named Dean Cook. He has great stuff at unbeatable prices. Check it out - http://www.flytraps.com

Jon Werner

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jon,

I am familiar with Dean, though I haven't bought any plants from him. I really haven't been activly collecting for a few years, but I couldn't resist these guys.

I have been growing Sarr.s for maybe 9 years or so now. Mostly species stuff and some simple hybrids (mostly stuff from UNCC). Nothing that shows as much color as these guys though.

Corey,

Go for it! My mother funded the materials for my bog at her house my freshman year of college. Its about 12'X14' and 24" deep. It took something like 15 bales of peat and 1/2 ton of sand. It took her a while to warm up to it, but when it filled in and started the mass flowerings throughout the year it became her baby. There is nothing like coming out in the mourning to see a carpet of little white Drosera flowers blaketing the ground, or to see a cloud of little yellow Utricularia flowers floating 4" above the ground on stems so thin they become invisable.

Here are some pics from the bog:

S. rubra

A shot up through part of the bog

S. flava

And two of my orchids, both Plantanthera species

And here is what I grow:
Utricularia subulata
U. subulata var. cleistogama
Sarracenia purpurea (green form)
S. purpurea (viened form)
S. flava
S. leucophylla 'Tarnok'
S. leucophylla 'Hot Pink'
S. leucophylla
S. rubra
S. minor 'Cases Resolve'
S. minor
S. psittacina X psittacina 'Snorkel'
S. psittacina
S. X catesbaei
S. oreophila X williamsii 'Sand Mountian'
Drosera intermedia
D. hybrida
D. filliformis alba
D. filliformis 'California sunset'
D. binata
Dionea muscipula
Vaccinium macrocarpon
Lobelia cardnialis
L. spp. (blue flowered)
Iris fluva
I. pseudoacorus
I. virginiana
Platanthera ciliaris
P. spp.
Calopogon tuberosum

Sorry for the monster post,
Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.