Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Most of us here in the UK have known about this for a good while now, and I even know a couple of folks who use it for their tadpole tea.

It is apparently far superior to the likes of Indian Almond leaves and as the article says its full of antibacterial/fungal properties.

I found a write up about it last year sometime, I'll see if I can find it.

Best regards,
Richie

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
55 Posts
...rooibos tea. Very interesting. I like to drink this tea but never thought about to use it this way...
Thanks for posting it!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Rooibos is by far my favorite tea to drink. It never would have crossed my mind that it could be used for anything else (though, the tadpole tea I'm using now is working well enough that I don't see any reason to mess around with the recipe...)

·
Registered
275 Posts
i have been using this in my tadpole tea for years. I also put it in my filter-compartments along with some catappa leaves

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stumbled on this article and that it was extremely interesting since I myself drink this tea on almost a daily basis.

It makes sense but then the question I would pose is why can't other antimicrobial teas be used. Like mint or Yarrow for instance they both have antimicrobial properties so would those work as well?

Great idea though to help keep the germs away from our little babies

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
It is another variation on the humic acids found in the other versions of tadpole teas... Humic acids (which is a wide group and includes tannins) all have some level of antimicrobial activity but people often assume that means it prevents all microbes from being able to function well in that enviroment. This is not the case.....

Ed

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I stumbled on this article and that it was extremely interesting since I myself drink this tea on almost a daily basis.

It makes sense but then the question I would pose is why can't other antimicrobial teas be used. Like mint or Yarrow for instance they both have antimicrobial properties so would those work as well?

Great idea though to help keep the germs away from our little babies
I would strongly suggest finding out which "antimicrobials" are found in the different herbs before trying them since some of them use saponins and glycosides as thier antimicrobial molecules. Both of these are likely to make the tadpoles fairly unhappy (and some saponins are known for thier toxicity for fish....)

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts