Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than getting normal water test done what all do I need to do to make sure well water is safe for frogs?

I currently use tap water which has sat out. This will be my first time using well water and do not know what to expect.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I've been using VA well water for a little over two months now with no issues, but I can't speak for the long term for frogs.

I did use it for years with my higher pH freshwater setups (mixed in with RO for the lower pH tanks as well) and it was just fine, I considered that precaution enough to use it in my vivs and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary.

If anything, it's more natural with less chemicals than city water, just make sure you're not in an area with heavy use of fertilizers. If it's safe for you to drink, it's probably going to be just fine for the frogs and plants.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You may want to check the water hardness. You can probably get a hardness kit at any place that sells fish.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do plan to have it tested to see what all is in it, just was not sure if I had to go much farther than that.

It is farm country so I will have to do some asking around about ferts. I would assume most of the fertalizer comes from cow poop... but I have been know to be wrong a time or two.

:eek: cow poop :eek: That thought just hit me I dont want to drink it if that is the case.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I think it's mainly high levels of iron and copper that can cause issues for wildlife, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt calcium/magnesium would cause problems, and those are the two main components of hardness.... we have fairly high TDS here in VA and high calcium/mag levels... but I don't think we'd put so much stock into clay backgrounds and Turface substrate if over-supplying calcium was a husbandry issue (and I would think there are enough people using well water that it would have come up by now?). I'm sure solubility etc. comes into play and I'm no chemistry major, but unless hardness is abnormally high I wouldn't be overly concerned about it with frogs. Just my semi-educated hypothesis :cool:

Plus, since my electric blue jack dempseys (touchy inbred SOBs that they are) thrived in our well water, I'll give it to anything LOL... that doesn't speak for OP's well water, but it works just fine for me.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I haven't had issues with it, but well water can vary from place to place. Mine is slightly acidic with a pH of around 5.5 or so. I try to let water sit a day or two to stabilize with room temperature, then raise the pH to neutral, then add a bit of Blackwater extract, especially for my tadpoles, but sometimes for misting I just use straight from the tap and try to get it close to a good temperature and I haven't had problems with it. I agree you should try to get some sort of test done if possible so you know what your particular water is like, and if it has anything in it that could cause problems.
Bryan

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think it's mainly high levels of iron and copper that can cause issues for wildlife, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt calcium/magnesium would cause problems, and those are the two main components of hardness.... we have fairly high TDS here in VA and high calcium/mag levels...
Actually Rich (insularaexotics) gave a pretty interesting lecture at frog day on how calcium can through off the carbon cycle in tanks. For the most part I think actual occurrences of this happening in a dart viv are very rare but I am not an authority. Personally I use DI because I can get it free at work. Most people don't have that luxury.

·
Registered
713 Posts
When you do a water test, run a test for copper too.

Based on my experience with fresh and especially marine aquaria, well water was terrible. However, I live in a farmimg state and during the spring, there is huge amounts of run off with cow poop.

Every well is different so I'd definitely test for a high range pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrate, phosphate and copper. All of those.

I once had someone tell me they had a deep well, and swore the water was 'OK' to drink, but informed me they've seen snakes swimming in the well. Ew? Just food for though.

Really, I'd suggest using bottled water.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've lived on in a couple places now with a well (and love the water so much for personal drinking). The one I was on when younger we used for the fish tanks my dad did without any problems. It did end up getting a problem with too much sulfur so we had a new well drilled 100 feet away or so and everything was good. The only way to really know is having it tested, though with high sulfur you can have a smell of egg when you turn your water on.

Also, high sulfur levels can lead to neurological problems, though I'm not sure on the effect of frogs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We fill well rinsed out milk jugs and let it set for at least a day and have been doing this for 5 years and nothing has went wrong.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sean stewart uses well water on all of his frogs he says he feels the get more minerals from the well water and recomends it,just adjust your ph and make sure you dont add softeners to the water

1 - 12 of 12 Posts