Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt recieve an answer to my question so im ganna give it a try here....
I just recently bought a 36" dual bulb T12 fixture for my 30 gallon i got for christmas. What i was wondering was could i buy some life-glow bulbs (made by Hagan) that are classified as T10's into this fixture with out problems? I ask because right now i have 2 sylvania designer cool white bulbs which i think only have a color rating of like 4100K and a 70CRI, im not sure this will be enough to keep my fireballs red. thanks a lot.

Bryan

P.S.- heres a link to the fixture and info... http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...earchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+4233&pos=n12

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
T10 bulbs use the same ballast type as a T12 so there should not be any problem in using them. The difference in light output will be minimal so I doubt your plants will benefit much from the change. Your cheapest upgrade would probably be to go with an electronic ballast and T8s. Even with T8s I don't know that they would keep the red in fireballs. A more expensive option but an option that would probably keep the reds is to go with T5HO fixtures or some type of CF fixture. Also you may want to ask some plant experts about what color temp bulbs you should be using to maximize plant health.

BTW - Your link does not quite work for me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have some of these

that are growing under t-8 or t-10 (i believe these are interchangable also, as long a pin config is the same) full spectrum bulbs. they are growing and holding the red for quite some time now. i could post a pic tommorow if your interested. i dont know if these are as hard (to keep the red) as the fireballs though.

Landon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ooops!!

i have to make some statements about my earlier post.

i just got home from work and checked things out. in my fixture i have one t-8 (flora-sun: zoomed) bulb, and one t-10 (nutri-grow: coralife), so the two are interchangable.

as far as NO lights keeping the red in the above posted brom.....well that was an unintentional lie :eek: .......dont blacklist me guys :evil: :twisted: im fixing it. it has a lot of red around the base, but towards the ends of the leaves they are pretty green. i will be tranfering some offspring of this variation to a 29 containing PC lights, so i wll know in the future if the light is the key factor (which most of you plant gurus know it is :)).

again im sorry for posting incorrect info. i will try to refrain from this in the future and will make an effeort to correct any other mistakes i make as well.

Landon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts