Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only seen 3 of these pop up in a tank so far, and they seem to only eat detritus so I'm not worried about them, but what the hell are they??

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
theyre kinda cool. Id worry about them eating living foliage though. I dont trust terrestrial molluscs to stay away from my plants

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
theyre kinda cool. Id worry about them eating living foliage though. I dont trust terrestrial molluscs to stay away from my plants
Well you have nice orchids and such...my plants come from Home Depot ;) Plus, I haven't seen them eating any vegetation, even algae. They stay in the leaf litter and on the wood.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are cute, at least. Pretty color and cute antennae
Those are eyes ;) Mollusks don't have antennae. But yes they are pretty neat. I'm not interested in getting rid of them.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Did you ever get an ID for this snail? I have the same ones in my vivarium. They apparently live in the leaf litter and I've never seen any plant damage. My leucomelas eat the baby ones. They try to eat the adults, but that doesn't work :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did you ever get an ID for this snail? I have the same ones in my vivarium. They apparently live in the leaf litter and I've never seen any plant damage. My leucomelas eat the baby ones. They try to eat the adults, but that doesn't work :)
Really - that's awesome! I've tried to get my bigger frogs to eat the snails in their tanks but they refuse stubbornly. Should be a nice snack rich in calcium... maybe you guys should market these as feeders. They look kind of neat, too.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Really - that's awesome! I've tried to get my bigger frogs to eat the snails in their tanks but they refuse stubbornly. Should be a nice snack rich in calcium... maybe you guys should market these as feeders. They look kind of neat, too.
Ohh, now that's an idea! Cute and beneficial feeder snails! See if you can grab a few and start breeding them, then maybe take some and put them in with just clippings of different plants to see if they'll actually eat them.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope never did. I still see them in one tank though. I'm surprised they eat any of them though, that's pretty cool. I don't think my summersi could manage that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts