Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
A pair of Azureus, two Theloderma Bicolor, 4 Santa Isabels
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that I don't know the species of this plant as I got it a long time ago and I am still in the process of learning all the different types of plants. I've had this plant for a while now and I moved it to a new tank with a better light. The light cycle is 12 on 12 off.

I noticed these tentacle things a whole ago. Some have bright pink colors which made me think they were flowers but they look strange and haven't "bloomed" yet. Anyway, I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me what this is.

Thanks

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Yeah i want to know what that is also. Its its enthusiastic and odd. And hey look at the plants chopped stem its got same hot pink center too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's planted in abg mix but since I was transferring it from an old tank the root mass was so large that I ended up tossing on some sphagnum moss to cover up the exposed top roots.

I dont thin those are roots though because I've seen what the roots of the plants look like and these are growing up and from dead parts of the plant. The pink coloration also makes it seem like something besides just roots.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also think they strongly resemble roots. Were there any plants near it from wherever you transplanted it from? Maybe one you thought had died off?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I transplanted it from an old tank and the only other plants near it wear an arrowhead plant and some creeping fig.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you saying that this plant is a type of philodendron?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
They are roots. I'm not sure on the type of plant you have, but am sure those are roots. Many plants throw roots like that, many have red or pink colors to them (and white, and yellow is pretty common too). I had a dwarf anthurium many years ago that threw out cherry red aerial roots.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some better pictures that aren't close ups. I have had this plant for a while (I think about 4 or 5 years) and I've never noticed this type of growth which is why I really didn't think they were roots at first.

Hopefully these pictures are more helpful or can confirm if they are roots.

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts
Yes, it looks to be a philodendron, and yes, those are roots.

Reactions: Justin3
1 - 12 of 12 Posts