Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently trying to move my completed tank to a more permanent location. I have a free standing shelving unit, but I'm not sure if my tank is going to exceed the weight capacity.

I've looked around the internet and on this board but its not easy to find the weight of these things once they've been completed.

Mine is a 12x12x18 ExoTerra. It has a LECA bottom, a couple inches of coconut fiber, and a styrofoam background. I put a glass lid on top and one bulb compact top. It doesn't feel terribly heavy but I'm not very good at estimating that sort of thing. And I don't have a scale.

So does anyone know about how much this would weigh? Or does someone know how much there's weighs thats comparable in size to this one? It seems like something that would be more popular an issue... but maybe most people aren't worried about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lots of views but no replies yet. Here are some pics of the viv. Hopefully it gives some reference with what I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have 2 zoomeds 12x12x18's. They have false bottoms instead of hydroballs. But they are very similar other than that. It does appear you have more abg than I do. The one weighed 36# the other 33#. That should give you a ballpark idea.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Weight will depend "heavily" :D On how much water is in the viv's drainage layer and how much is in the soil. A drier viv is much lighter. Basically figure 8lbs per gallon of water + weight of other materials and the viv itself. My guess is from tanks I've had of similar size is 30-50lbs.

Free standing shelf, hmm... Be good to see a pic of the shelving unit. Might be able to kinda give you my "feeling" on whether that is something I'd put a viv on or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks tgoff! Thats just what I needed. If you keep your false bottom with a fair amount of water in it I think that would at least equal that of the clay, but I guess I don't know how much it absorbs? Anyway for the same tank two completed tanks couldn't be THAT different, so your measurements definitely give me a ballpark

And the shelving unit I have Dave is just your standard rack, its not really a shelf in that its not connected to the wall. Its plastic, so it can handle less weight than a wire rack, but the weight it handles IS higher than the estimates tgoff provided. Even if it was 50lbs, thats still under the weight limit, 66lbs. But that is getting pretty close, so now I'm thinking of picking up a metal one instead anyway...

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Thanks tgoff! Thats just what I needed. If you keep your false bottom with a fair amount of water in it I think that would at least equal that of the clay, but I guess I don't know how much it absorbs? Anyway for the same tank two completed tanks couldn't be THAT different, so your measurements definitely give me a ballpark

And the shelving unit I have Dave is just your standard rack, its not really a shelf in that its not connected to the wall. Its plastic, so it can handle less weight than a wire rack, but the weight it handles IS higher than the estimates tgoff provided. Even if it was 50lbs, thats still under the weight limit, 66lbs. But that is getting pretty close, so now I'm thinking of picking up a metal one instead anyway...
Ya, I'd go metal. Just to be safe. A viv hitting the floor is bad... Happened to me, but my mom dropped it, not a shelf breaking ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts