Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got motivated last weekend and put this 40gal column together. I still need to finish hooking up the Mist King, add plants, and drill the top for UVB penetration but so far I am please with how it has turned out! More pics to come!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Really nice, I suppose you used some GS for the background and coco fiber or just cork?

This UVB penetration .. are you going to drill one hole for one bulb or what do you have in mind?

I will start my new build soon and I will use cork as well. This UVB is interesting and I have been thinking about it too. I would be glad to see how your setup is. :p:p

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really nice, I suppose you used some GS for the background and coco fiber or just cork?

This UVB penetration .. are you going to drill one hole for one bulb or what do you have in mind?

I will start my new build soon and I will use cork as well. This UVB is interesting and I have been thinking about it too. I would be glad to see how your setup is. :p:p
Ya it is a large piece of cork bark that I broke into pieces and gs into place. Then i pressed in coco fiber and sphag.

I used a 2.5 inch diamond bit and drilled three holes across the back (over the broms) and will be adding a strip uvb bulb that will be over all three holes. I have not decided on wether I'm going to use screen or saran wrap to cover the holes as I've read conflicting info about the penetration of uvb through screen. I will post an update as soon as I get it all figured out. Added a couple broms and some cissus discolor last night..

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! Ya it's cissus discolor, it's also one of my favorites!
The substrate is turface, then a bentonite/redart clay mix that I made from a recipe found here on DB.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I really like that piece of wood Chris. the Tank looks really good, but whats knew right? Good work!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a GREAT piece of wood. Works perfect for that viv.
Thanks Gary! My parents have quite a large manzanita field at their place so whenever I go home to visit I stock the Subi as full as possible!

Great looking tank, nice work!
Thank you!

I love it too. I'm going to let it cover the background of my 65g Peninsula I just set up (thread coming soon). Your viv looks great. Job well done. :)
Hey Mitch, cant wait to see this thread of yours! Just checked and its not up yet.. ;)

I really like that piece of wood Chris. the Tank looks really good, but whats knew right? Good work!
Thanks Tyson! When are you gonna come by and hang out with Mary and I so you can see it and a few others in person?!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Love it but then again I havnt seen a tank of yours that I didnt like. Took a look at your Cobalts at Quicksilver they are huge!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Dave, I stopped by Quik and trimmed up the viv a couple days ago, while trimming I pulled two froglets! Those are two of my first frogs, when Quik approached me about doing a viv for the store I thought what better frog to put on display!

Chris

·
Registered
123 Posts
Growing in really well!
One suggestion though, move the pond so its a little bit off-centered. It doesnt have to be all the way in a corner, but a little to the right or left looks a lot more appealing to the eye. Google the law of thirds, its an art concept, but applies to almost everything being displayed.

Lookin good,

-Jeremy

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dude, those vivs are rad! Seriously, those are really nice looking and have a natural appearance. Hope you don't mind but I grabbed the last pic of the side by sides and am going to put it in my personal 'inspiration' gallery. Cool to see the columnea in there, looks nice...hopefully there's a little sphag or something under part of the stem so you keep it moist. It won't do well if it dries out, especially as a fresh cutting with few roots.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts