Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just found out that my ISP provides up to 100mb of personal website space included in my service but I have NO idea how to make web pages. I have activated my webspace, but it's basically a blank page. Is there a program I can buy that's EASY TO USE? I'm going to Best Buy later so if I can get it there, cool. An idiot proof program would be cool. :oops: ANy ideas?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Macromedia's Dreamweaver and Microsoft's Front Page are two easy-to-use programs. If you don't want to fork over the money for those you could learn html and do it yourself instead. See http://www.htmlgoodies.com for some easy to follow tutorials and play around with some of the basics in notepad or similar program. If you write it yourself you will also need an FTP program to upload the files you create on your computer to the space that your internet service provider offers. I use WS FTP, I'm pretty sure it's free. Maybe others that know more than I do can share some more detailed advice. Good luck,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're looking for free you can use AOLPress. It's old and outdated but it will do the trick for free. you will still need an FTP client or you could probably upload one file at a time through some interface that the ISP others, but that's a PITA.

Also you can create a word document and save it as a webpage and then to your ISP account.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'll do it for you for free. Just PM me with what you want on it and stuff.

Everett

·
Registered
291 Posts
We use Microsoft Frontpage and I think it is extremely easy to use. I think the program is around $200. Hard to swallow for doing one webpage for fun. However, we have a few more webpages than our Quality Captives site to maintain so it was well worth the expense.

Dreamweaver is more expensive than Frontpage if I recall correctly. I've never used the program but I've been told it is excellant!

Programming in HTML isn't that hard anymore. There are alot of programs you can get cheap or for free that you can use with relative ease as long as you have a basic knowledge of word processing.

With that said, I think I'd take the free offer up........

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I use frontpage. If you buy an older version, you can get it really cheap (I got version 2002 on ebay for less than $50 shipped). Your ISP should provide some way of uploading pages, but if it doesn't, check and make sure they have FTP access for your site. If they do you can use web folders. Click on the "my network places" and then on "create a new network place". Then enter in the info that your ISP should be able to give you.

Just remember that your first page must be index.htm.

If you have any questions, please contact me by email and I will help as I can.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another free and easy option is Netscape Composer. If you have a Netscape browser, you should have Netscape Composer free on there already. I've made a couple web sites using it, and it works well for basic stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See, this is all the stuff I have to figure out. I have the space activated, but this is all it says so far:
http://members.cox.net/jpjohns1/index.htm

I thought about using homestead because it seems simple. Choose a background, add links, add pics, etc., but I think the program only works if you use their webspace.

I just want to make somepages with pics of my frogs, family, links to favorite websites, etc.

Damn, I feel old. When I was in high school this stuff was easy. :cry:

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
making webpages

If you are thinking homestead for that reason yahoo does has a similar web page maker. If you have windows XP, you already have an FTP program, just type in the FTP addy into your web browser. WS FTP was a pain in the but after a while, I honestly hated that program. But hey, it was free, and my school recomended it (which is why I no longer listen to the campus computer people, they are monkeys with socket wrenches trying to work on these comps).

I designed Justin's site (http://www.yeagersfrogs.com) with Microsoft Paint and Notepad (both free if you run off windows). I have Macromadia Suite, which includes Dreamweaver but I never use it. Don't even get me started on how much I don't like Frontpage lol.

I learned html mostly by online tutorial and disecting other people's webpages to see what made them tick, and then more advanced stuff as a side benifit from my on again off again web designer boytoy.

I can't wait until I actually have time to crank out a new version of Justin's site..... its almost two years old and its time for an upgrade!

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
pagebuilder

If you are worried about the pages you make with yahoo pagebuilder or homestead, I can tell you all about copying the code, editing out the ad they automatically place in there, and it'll be ready to upload to wherever your page is gonna be.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Once I have the time to do my website I will probably code the whole thing in notepad.

rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts