Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a local source for a bunch of old, weathered ligustrum root for free. It looks great and I'd love to use it in my background and as centerpieces in a new tank. I believe this is also known as Privet, Japanese Privet, Wax-Leaved privet.

Does anyone know if it's safe to use? Have you used it? How does it hold up? It's listed on several aquarium sites as good wood to use for planted aquariums, so I'd imagine it holds up pretty well to moisture -- especially the roots here in New Orleans.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I did a quick search on Privet and it seems to be toxic to humans and animals.

"Common privet is also known as privet, Amur and wax-leaf and is a member of the Oleaceae family. This plant has toxic principles and causes symptoms of toxicity in humans and animals."

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
Logan, what you have is either Ligustrum japonicum or Ligustrum sinense, or a combination of both. Both are terrible invasives along the Gulf Coast. The leaves and berries are "toxic to some livestock, but these species are also considered favorable components of white-tailed deer diet in areas where they occur. The toxicity seems to be species-specific and based on ingestion and not necessarily exposure. If it's safe to use in aquariums, I'd say it's fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts