Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have ways to identify ant species? That would make collecting possible without fear of putting dangerous species into the viv with your frogs...

Any help will be great.
Ryan

·
Vendor
2,863 Posts
I have been searching the net and the best I can find is http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/ants/ , but that is many for nebraska. You should search (your state), ant identification on google. You'll get some results from your local university.

From what I have researched, I guess we can feed two noded ants, but not one-noded ants.

Let us know how/where you get them and how your PDF react.

·
Vendor
2,863 Posts
Go to tincs.com, click on gadgets and then read about ants. The species he says to use appears to be commonly called 2 node, while the ones he says not to use happen to be two noded.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just if in knew those were safe yesterday! One of my orchid pots were filled with em! Do they produce any acids or toxins?

G

·
Yes the do have a venom, but it doesn't bother the frogs. I have a good friend who is an environmental biologist that told me about these guys. He has been feeding his frogs these. All I know for 100% is that the little black ants under rotting wood make good food. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts