Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a sure-fire way to clean these bad boys? I have a few coco huts going into new tanks, and doing the water, vinegar, bleach thing seems a bad idea for something porous.

I've heard popping them in the oven at not too high of a heat for not too long works, and I've heard boiling. But does someone know for sure? Any one talk to a frog doc who suggested the best way?

Many thanks,

~Tobias

·
Registered
817 Posts
Boil them...best non-chemical way to sterilize them.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have bleached mine with no ill effects. I know other large breeders bleach theirs and have had absolutely no problems. That being said I like the boiling idea quite a bit. I will give that a try next go around.

Best of luck,

Shaw

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any aquarium water conditioner will neutralize bleach at a double recommended dosage bleach is only a stronger form of chlorine after all..Ive also heard of microwaving things to sterilize them.
Best of luck, Dave

·
Registered
347 Posts
Unless the coco hut is very very wet, you should avoid the microwave. If you have it too dry or a few seconds too long, the fire and smoke are horrific.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
i soak all my stuff in a light bleach solution including the huts i re rinse a few times and allow to air dry... but if i need a quick way to clean everything i break out the big pot and boil everything let air dry and drop right in. i never had anything bad happen with using soaking huts in gthe bleach solution.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Boiling works and bleach as well. If you are really paranoid about the bleach do another soak after the bleach with a product like de-chlor sold for fish tanks. I used to do aquarium maintenence and we would bleach stuff that went back into aquariums and reefs containing thousands of dollars worth of livestock with no ill effects . . .

·
Registered
285 Posts
My dishwasher has a few cycles that meet Department of Health (or something like that) standards for sanitization. I throw them in there on one of the sanitize cycles.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I wash them in the sink then put into a closed plastic bag and steam in the microwave for two mintues. Just have to be careful not to get burned opening the bag.

Richard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts