Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

To begin, sorry for my bad english, I come from France.

I would like to introduce you my new project. A tank for phyllomedusa sauvagii (not dart frog)

I will use an exo terra 24” x 18” x 36”

I would like to use the flevopol method that I discovered thanks to RAF's viv. I didn't use PVC pipes, but backing foam of different diameter that I get back on my building site. I reinforced them with galvanize wire.
I fix them with sikaflex 11fc (almost the same than soudall fix-all)

As you could see I use GS to hide pots.

In France we don't found compaktuna or flevopol but sikalatex. In my work (building) we call that "Lait de bouc": "Milk of billy goat" :p
I mix with water and peat moss (1:1:4).
For the moment I just did few test. I have to say that it is not easy to apply. I obtain neither a liquid nor a pulp and I don't know too much which consistency I should have in theory.
I apply with my hand and I press the mix on foam.
Do I make that correctly?

I also do a test of liana with sealant and peat moss on a foam and rope. No problem it's very easy. Dirty and long term but easy.:rolleyes:

Do you think it's possible to cover all my background with sealant and peat moss ? May be more expensive and longer ?

Thanks all

++

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I feel Waxy monkey wax frogs need a lot of air and should not be kept in
all glass enclosure because they come from more arid areas.
Please double check info about their habitat before you build their new home.
They are a fantastic frog and even that they are nocturnal they are a
great display and pet frog.
Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel Waxy monkey wax frogs need a lot of air and should not be kept in
all glass enclosure because they come from more arid areas.
Please double check info about their habitat before you build their new home.
They are a fantastic frog and even that they are nocturnal they are a
great display and pet frog.
Good luck!
Have you already bred phyllomedusa ? If yes, your experience interest me a lot.
Informations about them are very limited, and I didn't read that it was preferable to keep them in an no all glasses enclosure.
I know that they need high temperature, about 40 or 45 °C (I will buy a solar raptor 70 or 150W for this reason) and of a low hygrometry 40 or 50% but i don't see where could be the problem with an exo terra.

The test of sikalatex and peat moss wasn't satisfactory. After drying, the mix keep a really brown colour. Too dark, and i don't know why. It seems more like compost. :(

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I'm excited for this thread. I have a 65 gallon tnak that I will be using for a waxy viv here in the near future and have been gathering succulents for it this winter.

As far as keeping them in screen tanks vs glass tanks, I've never had an issue with glass tanks and screen tops. I have bred this species, but I used a separate rain chamber to stimulate the rainy season after heavy feedings and hot/dry conditions. I was planning on trying out a computer fan to circulate the air in the tank so it didn't get too hot or too stagnant. A similar design to the in tank air circulation that they use on this board, but obviously since it's a screen top, it will be new air.

I've also found that waxys do like some humidity and if kept bone dry and scorching all the time, they will eventually wither away. Make sure to have a large water bowl that is cleaned daily so they can descend at night to soak in it while they hunt for prey.

This is by far my favorite species of tree frog and I'm glad others are taking a more naturalistic route to their tanks as opposed to the common paper towel/branch/dog water bowl. Yes they can be kept like that, but who wants to show off this amazing species in that manner? Not me...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for your advices. I'm reassured to hear they can be kept in an exo terra.
If I well understood, you already bred sauvagei. Informations about them are really rare, so could you give me more details about your (past) installations? May be some photos ?
The water bowl don't need to be deep ?

Do you think it's possible to keep, three frog in my exo terra ?

Did you manage to reproduce them ?

Otherwise, someone to help me with my sika's(flevopol) mixture ? :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, back in business. :cool:

I decided to delete the right side of my background . This makes my vivarium less confined.

I will add some liana, branch and tree stump.

Test of sikalatex that I have make, didn't evolve, so ... BIN !
I decided to make a new trial. Unlike the first, I don't applied a thick layer but 4 or 5 thin layer with paintbrush. At that time it is not still finished but I think the result will be better.

The phasing of work:

Mixture 1:1:4 (sika:water:peat)

1st layer

After 2nd layer

After 3rd layer

As we can see, it need two more layer. But is it normal that peat stay so dark ?

In parallel, I make one try of sealant (sikaflex) and peat. I didn't found toluene in France, and I don't know which I could use in alternative to dilute sealant.
I have make without it.
An idea?:eek:
Here, I just pressed the peat on the sealant.

I prefere the result of sealant and peat. But its very long.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's really cool. You NEED to include some horizontal branches close to the top. That's where they spend all their time. Don't forget a good sized water bowl. when there not on a horizontal branch their craping in the water bowl.

I've keep them since 1998

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's coming along!

But yes, you should include a wide horizontal branch, maybe stick it in betweens the other vines and lianas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, don't worry for the moment I'm focus on the background but I will not forget to put a lot of more horizontal branch for basking in the sun.

I know they need a plant with large leaf above the water bowl. I thought to a monstera but i'm not sure this plant appreciate the high temperature.

chadbandman, is it possible to show me the installation of yours phyllomedusa ?

Thanks a lot for your precious advices.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It looks like it should. The mixture stays dark until it's dried completely.
You need to put on a lot of layers to get a decent result. This and the dry time are a major disadvantage of this method.
Looks great so keep up the good work!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it a problem not to let more one day of drying between each layer ?

Thanks a lot raf, i'm truly reassured.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which plants can I use to recreate their biotope ?

Especially, which plants will resist to arid climate ?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
how come all of these posters who say their english is bad, write better than i do?

This looks pretty cool - I'm considering using the foam pipe insulation and various flexible tubing for a rooty, or branchy viv in the near future so I'm gonna subscribe to this.

I'm trying to figure out how difficult it would be to affix some end of pipe-foam to the glass. Maybe with great stuff inside? Silicone? so the vines can go across the viv (I need this for happy, smiling gecko faces).

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
p.s. are those waxy, monkey-tree frogs
or waxy, monkey treefrogs

Why are they waxy and monkey anyway?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In fact, my english is ... academic. And I use a translator to be sure I do not say craps ^^

No problem, vines could be fix to glass with GS or silicone. It is not in my plan to fix on a glass but i'm sure it's works well.

I'm not sure to have understood why you want to do that? To make a face of gecko ?:eek:

For you second question. Waxy because to protect from the eat, they wax their skin.
And monkey because they walk like a monkey.

Watch this video and you will understand.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
oh the wax spreading frogs are interesting!!

My english is extremely informal, non-academic, and technically BAD so when you don't understand me, thats why. I meant that my geckos will only be happy with horizontal vines or branches in their tanks. They can't really smile ;-)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ah ok :D

If you really want to use foam pipe to make branch, don't forget to reinforced with galvanized wire.

Personally i will use rope or PVC to make Horizontal lianas for my phyllomedusa. More rigid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I "finished" my test (I'ts not a fussy work). 5 layers on liana et one on the background.
In the background I have used an other technique. I have applied mix of sikalatex and water with paintbrush and then I press peat on it.

I'm pretty satisfied.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts