Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I’m constructing my first tree stump for my bombina paludarium, the idea is to have a kind of mangrove root system going into the water, maybe to provide some water critters with some shelter, as well, so half the roots will be above land, half below.

I constructed a base shape out of insulation board, great stuffed it, now am carving. I understand there would be two options for the next step - waterproofing and decorating

1. Silicone and press in reptisoil (stick spag moss and home-made jungle vines) would be fine for above water, but i may not get all the surfaces underneath - would the insulation board be toxic for the water. Im guessing so.

2.DryLock the whole thing. Would be water proof, but i wanted to avoid a sheen on the stump from the lights, plus then i would need to paint it and i prefer the reptisoil look

Are either of these methods better than the other? Or should i be looking at perhaps silicone above water, drylock below.

Will post more pics when its coming along - im super excited for this project!
Wood Gas Chair Outdoor furniture Composite material

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I've done projects like this with Drylock and they turned out well.

A couple years ago I also wrote an article for the AMAZONAS blog on a similar kind of construction...

Build a Lightweight, Waterproof Concrete Basin for Ponds and Plants - AMAZONAS Magazine

Make sure to coat everything thoroughly with at least a couple coats. Apparently there is evidence polystyrene insulation can leach hormone-disrupting chemicals. There's a couple of discussions on this here if you do a search.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, i think i go the drylok route just to make sure. Im assuming i need clear drylok (and add colour after, non toxic acrylic) - will silicone stick to that though, if i want to add some soil to the top?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've done projects like this with Drylock and they turned out well.

A couple years ago I also wrote an article for the AMAZONAS blog on a similar kind of construction...

Build a Lightweight, Waterproof Concrete Basin for Ponds and Plants - AMAZONAS Magazine

Make sure to coat everything thoroughly with at least a couple coats. Apparently there is evidence polystyrene insulation can leach hormone-disrupting chemicals. There's a couple of discussions on this here if you do a search.
Is any type of drylok appropriate? Looking for a way to cover some acrylic painting already done. Can you colour drylok just by squirting paint into some?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts